• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Holiday in October

Patrick Foley

In October this year I will be going on holiday with my wife Katherine. We are staying in Paris for a week and Lyon for a week and are hoping to sample some high end dining. Past experiences would suggest ADPA and Guy Savoy are good bets but what would you suggest?

Money is not an issue.

My girlfriend and I went to Lyon a few weeks ago. We had some good meals, but the one that stood out was had at "En mets fais ce qu'il te plait". The restaurant was recommended by master-blogger Clotilde and the meal was delicious. Nothing super fancy, but traditional dishes done really well by Japanese chef Ishida.

The other great meal was had across the street from our hotel in the old Jewish quarter. I forget the name of the restaurant, but the hotel was Cour des Loges, which I highly recommend. Our room had a walk out patio in the midst of an old garden.

www.courdesloges.com

Edited by BradenP (log)
"When planning big social gatherings at our home, I wait until the last minute to tell my wife. I figure she is going to worry either way, so I let her worry for two days rather than two weeks."
-EW

I would definitely go to Paul Bocuse: L'Auberge du Pont de Collonges, 40 Quai de la Plage, 69660 Collonges au Mont d'Or, Tel.:72429090. You could, of course, try out some of his Brasseries too. Or some of these other restaurants in Lyon which I all found good:

Le Cazenove, 75 rue Boileau, Tel.: 78 89 82 92;

Christian Têtedoie, 54 Quai Pierre Scize, Tel.: 78 29 40 10;

Daniel et Denise, 156 rue de Créqui, Tel.: 78 60 66 53;

Nicolas Le Bec, 14 rue Grolée, 78 42 15 00;

Mathieu Viannay, 47 Avenue Foch, Tel.: 78 89 55 19;

Pierre Orsi, 3 Place Kléber, Tel.: 78 89 57 68;

Le Potager des Halles, 3 rue de la Martinière, Tel.: 72 00 24 84;

Brasserie Georges, 30 Cours de Verdun, Tel.: 72565453

Les Adrets, 30 rue du Boeuf, Tel.: 78382430

Aux Trois Maries, 1 rue de Trois-Maries, Tel.:7876728

Le Tire-bouchon, 16 rue du Boeuf, Tel.:78376995

Is the week in Lyon a "done deal"? I think a week is a bit long for Lyon (in terms of things other than eating). And there are other really good food regions not too far away (like the Dordogne). Robyn

Is the week in Lyon a "done deal"?  I think a week is a bit long for Lyon (in terms of things other than eating).
We've spent less than a whole week in Lyon and haven't scratched the surface. I would suggest that you search eG for, among others, posts by bleudauvergne, an American who has lived in Lyon for a number of years and also highly recommend her blog. And ameiden's list is a good one. On the bouchon level, we loved Daniel et Denise.
And there are other really good food regions not too far away (like the Dordogne).  Robyn
Er, Bourgogne or Provence, perhaps, but Dordogne seems to me a bit far to reach during a visit of only one week.

eGullet member #80.

We live in Florida - so 300-400 miles driving (unless it's on mountain roads) is kind of nothing to us. Agree about the food in the Lyon area - I just think I would run out of things to do between meals. Robyn

We live in Florida - so 300-400 miles driving (unless it's on mountain roads) is kind of nothing to us.  Agree about the food in the Lyon area - I just think I would run out of things to do between meals.  Robyn

There are not a few hills between Lyon and the Dordogne.

Perhaps I should raise my Lyon 'chamber of commerce' flag. I was very favorably impressed with Lyon's fashion boutiques in our quartier, spent more euros than I'd planned on the antique boulevard south of Bellecour, found treasures (and a great sausage sandwich) at the weekend flea market at Villeurbanne, didn't have enough time to scour the extraordinary Halles food market or chocolate at Bernachon. We never got close to investigating the permanent cultural installations, much less any temporary exhibits. Lyon isn't a cultural backwater.

eGullet member #80.

We will be staying with my brother who lives in Lyon and who I haven't seen for eight months. He has said there is much he can show us in the city.

Visiting with family is a totally different thing than being a tourist. If nothing else - you will spend days just sitting around and eating and catching up on "family talk". I am hosting a 90th birthday party for my father in July - family and friends - many from out of town. And - although there is a lot less to do here than in Lyon - especially in the summer when it's very hot - and the food is a whole lot worse - I think people will enjoy themselves - even if they just get together and talk. Maybe I can convince my father to move to Lyon before then - much better food :smile: . Robyn

We live in Florida - so 300-400 miles driving (unless it's on mountain roads) is kind of nothing to us.  Agree about the food in the Lyon area - I just think I would run out of things to do between meals.  Robyn

There are not a few hills between Lyon and the Dordogne.

Perhaps I should raise my Lyon 'chamber of commerce' flag. I was very favorably impressed with Lyon's fashion boutiques in our quartier, spent more euros than I'd planned on the antique boulevard south of Bellecour, found treasures (and a great sausage sandwich) at the weekend flea market at Villeurbanne, didn't have enough time to scour the extraordinary Halles food market or chocolate at Bernachon. We never got close to investigating the permanent cultural installations, much less any temporary exhibits. Lyon isn't a cultural backwater.

I never said Lyon was a cultural backwater. It's just that a week is a pretty long time - at least for me - in all except the largest cities in the world. 3-4 days for a city like Lyon sounds about right IMO. Robyn