• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scotch Whisky: The Topic

damn, Laphroaig cocktails. I presume as a main ingredient?

Here's my sub $60 list (some of these have to be on sale, but do appear regularly on sale for under that)

Bruichladdich the Laddie 10

Caol Ila 12

Glenmorangie 10

Talisker 10

Old Pulteney 12

Highland Park 12

Ardbeg 10 and Lagavulin 16 (those are both usually over 60 but can be found for less) for an intense but less medicinal smoke.

Bruichladdich is very interesting as it's an easily available unpeated Islay, something not otherwise easy to find. It's also a real banger, and often found for $40. Highland Park 12 or Talisker 10 probably are my desert island scotches - very complex, endlessly fascinating and delicious, without any single aspect being in your face - and also fairly reasonably priced. Caol Ila is a subtle, autumnal smokiness, Glenmorangie a great value Highland malt, and Old Pulteney a more complex, briney one.

• 1 year later...

Notscotch. But most Australian notscotch is made in the style of scotch.

DSC_0002_zpsegcgjeug.jpg

The double (port/bourbon) cask expression of Sullivan's Cove. SC have picked up a few awards and a lot of attention in recent years. This bottle is a few years old. I opened it when I got it, poured a small dram and then set it aside--not because it was bad but because I kind of forgot about it. Time to have another shot at it.

DSC_0004_zpsiwl4hyb7.jpg

On the nose you get the oak and the 'mustiness' I associate with whiskies that have spent some time in a wine cask (this is most obvious in the pinot edition of Hellyer's Road, another Tasmanian whisky). It tastes young. No age statement on the bottle, as you can see. Most Australian whisky is sold really young, although that's starting to change. I don't know much about the expressions of SC that have been collecting awards. Sweet entry. Oak. Floral. Butterscotch. Not bad.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

• 2 months later...

Picked up a mini of Ardbeg Blasda. I was forewarned that it's an oddball drop. On the nose it's young and there's smoke/peat. Yeah, it's lightly peated--not unpeated. On the palate it's young. Oak. Wood. A certain creaminess. Then a bit of fruitness. It's okay. Perhaps it's even good. Can't see myself coughing up for a full-sized bottle, though.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting this thread, because I am curious.  When the last post was made in this thread, my Scotch sampling was confined to a few mini's of JW that I bought out of curiosity.  My spirit of choice for a long time has been bourbon, and I was unimpressed. 

However, in the past year, I developed a desire to find something different, something that grabbed my attention more.  So I bought a bottle of Mccallan double cask, and was blown away by the nose.  The palate was missing imo ( I may have a different opinion now) so I continued searching.  I shied away from Islay, because it had a REPUTATION, and I thought I was unprepared for it.  But as I tasted different Highlands, Speysides, and other Island Scotches, I kept wanting a little more, backbone, a little more bite.  Then, about a month ago, I saw Ardbeg Uigedahl on sale.  I had heard of it, and decided it might be a good introduction to Islay.

Wow!  It is everything that I had been looking for!  I am looking forward to exploring further.  I am curious to hear what others are currently enjoying and exploring.  This is really still a new frontier for me!

Uigedail is fantastic, so is the standard run Ardbeg 10. In Islay I'm also a big fan of the Lagavulin 8 (and the special game of Thrones release 9 year), as well as the cask-strength Laphroaig 10, though that's a different beast entirely.

I've not had the 8, but Lagavulin 16 is a standard that others are compared against (as is Laphroaig 10). I'm not saying they are the best, but that they are well known and respected for what they are. I like Laphroaig 10 in cocktails because it's super heavy peat stands up. I find it a bit one dimensional all by itself. Lagavulin gives you some nice wet bandaids with your campfire.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

1 hour ago, EvergreenDan said:

I've not had the 8, but Lagavulin 16 is a standard that others are compared against (as is Laphroaig 10). I'm not saying they are the best, but that they are well known and respected for what they are. I like Laphroaig 10 in cocktails because it's super heavy peat stands up. I find it a bit one dimensional all by itself. Lagavulin gives you some nice wet bandaids with your campfire.

Picked up a bottle of Oban 14 last night.  Have to say, bandaids are not my thing, at least not yet.  It wasn't unpleasant, but I cannot say it was something I am seeking either.

I did see some Lagavulin 9 that caught my eye.  The 16 will have to wait for a special occasion purchase.  Is the 9 substantially different than the 8?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 10/1/2019 at 4:25 PM, Hassouni said:

Uigedail is fantastic, so is the standard run Ardbeg 10. In Islay I'm also a big fan of the Lagavulin 8 (and the special game of Thrones release 9 year), as well as the cask-strength Laphroaig 10, though that's a different beast entirely.

I had Uigeadail for the first time over the holidays this winter and absolutely loved it. My dad got two bottles of nice scotch as presents and so we did a very informal blind tasting. I knew one was a special bottling of Lagavulin, and one was the Uigeadail. I liked one of them and was floored by the other. I'd assumed the winner would be the Lagavulin, since I like plain-old Lagavulin more than I like plain-old Ardbeg. But damn if my fave wasn't the Ardbeg. 

This was especially good news because the special Lagavulin was a really expensive bottle. The Uigeadail is pretty reasonable, and is available every year. I haven't treated myself to a bottle yet. For pandemic season I've been drinking cocktails, not fancy scotch. Maybe in the fall or winter.

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 6

Notes from the underbelly

• 3 years later...

Id appreciate some input on the Lagavulin ' progression ' :

Im not a Whisky connoisseur .

but Ive come to enjoy two versions , over the last few years :

LLL.thumb.jpg.244631f42b22db20c9b9749c76f4fc62.jpg

and 

Bell.thumb.jpg.d41915357f26d0404a1a8ca67de4550b.jpg

Ive found for my taste these two are very complementary .

once a few years ago in a rush , I grabbed this one :

bell3.jpg.befbfd33c4f8dd37df6cc34f60211fc9.jpg

probably semi-seduced by the price , thinking this was a Sale    the packaging was very similar 

Ill add in my defense.   I found it significantly less interesting than the Rum cask .

Ive also found that in my area ( why I added pics w the Total Wine price , the lowest in my area )

that prices less than lets say $ 70  for less are disappointing experiences for my tastes .  I do not drink a

lot of whisky.   I add very cold water to the whisky , 50 % or a little ore

to cut the alcohol burn.  but still have a very full rich flavored drink

TJ's ' Costal ' wines are more every day for me these days.

Ive found that whisky prices over $ 90 go up exponentially , and I doubt the experience of drinking them

follows those price differentials .

this Lagavulin caught my eye :

LLLLLL.thumb.jpg.987cb7e5890b49745cf39baf35237da5.jpg

I am ab0ut to go back to TW and restock for the Winter , and Beyond.

I can afford the $ 35 difference for this bottle.  but Id like to not be disappointed .

has anyone had this version of Lagavulin ?     Id like to have a similar amount of Peat

not overpowering , medicinal lii as in the Laphroaig series:

la.thumb.jpg.fb2580748949d76a450029ffc9988577.jpg

thank you for your input.

P.S.:  I know that BigBooze has purchase many traditional labels , both whisky , cognac etc 

and  counting their Beans , ave pushed into marketing far more than' traditional development.'

that's where my $ 90 inflection point come in .

thanks again 

• 1 month later...

I recently finished the bottle of Uigedail I was so enamored with. By the end I'd gotten kind of tired of it. I love the smoke and peat, but started to find it a bit too sweet, almost like a gingerbread house. Something cookie / biscuity about it. I then had a sip from an old bottle of Lagavulin 16, and thought, hello old friend. 

I'm intrigued by the special editions of Lagavulin but don't have the budget. 

Has anyone tried the other no-age-statement Ardbegs, like Corryvreckan?

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

19 hours ago, paulraphael said:

I recently finished the bottle of Uigedail I was so enamored with. By the end I'd gotten kind of tired of it. I love the smoke and peat, but started to find it a bit too sweet, almost like a gingerbread house. Something cookie / biscuity about it. I then had a sip from an old bottle of Lagavulin 16, and thought, hello old friend. 

I'm intrigued by the special editions of Lagavulin but don't have the budget. 

Has anyone tried the other no-age-statement Ardbegs, like Corryvreckan?

I had a bottle of Corryvreckan some years ago. It was good - dense, sweet, mineral and quite peaty. At 57% the experience of course depends heavily how you dilute it - I tend to enjoy at slightly higher abv’s, so that’s when you get above notes.

• Like 1

I checked the two whisky's I have 

Lagulavin and Balvenie  , both are 43.5 or so .

Ive been watching   Slow Horses 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5875444/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

and they do polish off a bit of whisky , always ' neat '

I tried to follow along , but found the straight up alcohol content simply burned the ( my ) palate .

I dilute mine , and the result , in the appropriate glass 

ddd.jpg.2e6d0fc2649acbd942ca388cefe65234.jpg

I don't think Im missing anything re : the straight up drinking 

and , not really a spoiler for SH'es

in the final eps of season 3 

there appears a Macallan 18 yo

mmm.thumb.jpg.7e2ade3f5a084efa007e898b456c2dc5.jpg

there seem to be two versions , different cask-ings

the exact version was obscured by a hand :

mmmm.thumb.jpg.3ad9f0bf862850ad99122e6f501eca38.jpg

I looked into it @ Total Wine :

mmmmm.thumb.jpg.5aeb63a2fed80b79d6dfbcdff2acab27.jpg

I do like to ' drink along ' w various British  Drama's

but its not going to be Macallan 18.

however , the bottle was cast well :  two characters 

with image conciseness 

28 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I checked the two whisky's I have 

Lagulavin and Balvenie  , both are 43.5 or so .

Ive been watching   Slow Horses 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5875444/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

and they do polish off a bit of whisky , always ' neat '

I tried to follow along , but found the straight up alcohol content simply burned the ( my ) palate .

I dilute mine , and the result , in the appropriate glass 

ddd.jpg.2e6d0fc2649acbd942ca388cefe65234.jpg

I don't think Im missing anything re : the straight up drinking 

and , not really a spoiler for SH'es

in the final eps of season 3 

there appears a Macallan 18 yo

mmm.thumb.jpg.7e2ade3f5a084efa007e898b456c2dc5.jpg

there seem to be two versions , different cask-ings

the exact version was obscured by a hand :

mmmm.thumb.jpg.3ad9f0bf862850ad99122e6f501eca38.jpg

I looked into it @ Total Wine :

mmmmm.thumb.jpg.5aeb63a2fed80b79d6dfbcdff2acab27.jpg

I do like to ' drink along ' w various British  Drama's

but its not going to be Macallan 18.

however , the bottle was cast well :  two characters 

with image conciseness 

think there might be a bottle of that on my very dusty sideboard 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Pretty sure it's Alcohol by Volume - a lot of standard blends are sold at 40% 

Yup.

And Proof is simply 2xABV

• Like 1

@Kerry Beal

wow.  hopefully 

not a recent purchase in Canada 

ive always enjoyed my trips to Canada 

in a nice French restaurant in Montreal 

nice = prix fix  menu , a la France itself 

3 to 4 couses 

2 to 3 choices // courses 

a bottle of wine , french of course 

w/o extravagance 

cost the same as the meal.

Taxes being what they are N of th B.

• Like 1

Some from Scotland - some from LCBO - some from duty free I think. Not seeing some of the ones I know my dad and Gary used to enjoy.

IMG_6194.thumb.JPG.8fac1839dac0f812eb1a74b15838d4eb.JPG

IMG_6190.thumb.JPG.e258c17c8a12ff0ea23f0c6dd89666a0.JPG

IMG_6198.thumb.JPG.eb8602d0a40b885217304081fbc80922.JPG

IMG_6197.thumb.JPG.79e26df7f64b30b6d07056a9f734d1c7.JPG

IMG_6196.thumb.JPG.c88718e2af05412e07974c0153c7a1ef.JPG

IMG_6193.thumb.JPG.b927ec21f507a99c99432728dffce48b.JPG

IMG_6192.thumb.JPG.3db22b82b75bb467d0c17650fba5fd89.JPG

IMG_6191.thumb.JPG.ec8976355dc2ce72216f2d10c5f2a8b6.JPG

IMG_6187.thumb.JPG.c3b891e42923a0626bbe4641885dabd9.JPG

• Thanks 2

@Kerry Beal

I wouldn't mind a taste of the Lagavulin ' 1994 '