• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Akasaka's Sakasu

JasonTrue

Just curious if anyone's made it to the new building at Akasaka called Sakasu. Hiromi said she went to a nice Belgian restaurant yesterday. Any other interesting spots there?

It seems to be in the tradition of Marunouchi Building, Roppongi/Omotesando/whatever hills.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Just curious if anyone's made it to the new building at Akasaka called Sakasu. Hiromi said she went to a nice Belgian restaurant yesterday. Any other interesting spots there?

It seems to be in the tradition of Marunouchi Building, Roppongi/Omotesando/whatever hills.

Hi Jason,

I went there a few weeks back. You're right... It's another Roppongi and so on Hills, but much smaller in scale. I enjoy going to the Maru and Shin Maru birus because they are so spacious and open. Akasaka Sacas is not like that.

They've opened a branch (amongst others) of a Singaporean restaurant I really like, called HAI NAN CHI FAN. It's much smaller than the Suidobashi branch and doesn't have the same Singapore food court vibe to it either... But, the advantage it has is that it doesn't close between lunch and dinner.

I went on a Sunday and it was PACKED! There was a queue of about 20 lemmings outside this place when we got there, so we didn't bother sticking around. We ended up waiting for dinner time and going back to the Suidobashi branch.

Hi Jason,

I went there a few weeks back. You're right... It's another Roppongi and so on Hills, but much smaller in scale. I enjoy going to the Maru and Shin Maru birus because they are so spacious and open. Akasaka Sacas is not like that.

They've opened a branch (amongst others) of a Singaporean restaurant I really like, called HAI NAN CHI FAN. It's much smaller than the Suidobashi branch and doesn't have the same Singapore food court vibe to it either... But, the advantage it has is that it doesn't close between lunch and dinner.

I went on a Sunday and it was PACKED! There was a queue of about 20 lemmings outside this place when we got there, so we didn't bother sticking around. We ended up waiting for dinner time and going back to the Suidobashi branch.

:blink: A chain called Hainanese Chicken Rice? Is that all they sell or what?

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

:blink: A chain called Hainanese Chicken Rice? Is that all they sell or what?

I really like Hai Nan Chi Fan, I have only been to their Shiodome location though. They have a pretty decent menu with quite a bit of variety, here is their homepage.

I really wish they would open a location closer to me!

I remember hearing about Sacas a couple months back but as I don't find most of those shopping areas (like Omotesando Hills/Roppongi Hills) very interesting I promptly forgot about it. :biggrin:

Good food may get me out there though.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

*jaw drops* is Hainese(sp?) rice popular in Japanese that they have a restaurant dedicated to it? Also I think it's pretty similar to khao mun gai in Thailand. Um, but different sauce. Wow, if that is so. I really really miss khao mun gai I used to eat it for lunch for weeks on end (can you so holy hips? I was a teenager though) and then get sick of so lay off it for 2 weeks before coming back to it. I can honestly say that it's my favorite lunch dish from Thailand and I wish I wish I could make it at home like the stall lady in front of my soi did. :)

I'm in Seattle; Hiromi's been in Japan awaiting visa processing, which has taken about 9 months. She now has a spouse visa that allows her to enter the US without hassle, but is busy until July, so it'll still be a bit longer.

She went back to Japan for a job offer, about 11 months before we planned to marry. Thanks to some rule changes that went into effect preventing consular visa processing when the US spouse isn't resident in that country, and massive fee increases in July 2007, along with other administrative changes, the process has been bogged down even further. We started the petition for a spouse-based visa in late August.

It would have been much faster for me to just move to Japan and get a job there, alas.

Jason,

I'm just curious and this OT but are you in Seattle or in Japan? Is Hiromi on vacation or something. It so cool to talk to people half way across the world. That's why I ask. Feel free to ignore me if you want no hard feelings if you do. Thanks :)

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

*jaw drops* is Hainese(sp?) rice popular in Japanese that they have a restaurant dedicated to it? Also I think it's pretty similar to khao mun gai in Thailand. Um, but different sauce. Wow, if that is so. I really really miss khao mun gai I used to eat it for lunch for weeks on end (can  you so holy hips? I was a teenager though) and then get sick of so lay off it for 2 weeks before coming back to it. I can honestly say that it's my favorite lunch dish from Thailand and I wish I wish I could make it at home like the stall lady in front of my soi did. :)

I've not had Khao Mun Gai myself, but I think it's quite similar.

Thanks for the link, Kristin!

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

The food at Bikini is very good. It's "modern Catalan" cuisine from a serious Spanish chef. Dinner is around Y7000 with drinks.