• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese rolls

oli

Did a little digging around since you didn't provide much of a description.....only a photo......

I'm guessing the cheese roll that was purchased was from Porto's Bakery? I found several mentions on Chowhound about how great they are, and from going to Porto's website, they listed it as one of their most popular items.

I found this description on a blog:

I have this love affair with Porto's cheese rolls eversince I've tasted this about 5 years ago. They are so divine. It's a flaky pastry dough coated with sugar, with a cheesecake-style filling and baked until it's golden brown. Yumm-O!

No, it wasn't Rachael Ray's....... :laugh:

From the description it seems that a flaky type pie dough is used, and filled with a cream cheese filling that may be similar to the cream cheese filling that you make to fill a danish pastry. They are probably baked, but they could be deep fried too.....for that extra fatty goodness. :raz:

They look fried in the picture (to me), you can see the little blisters on the surface of the pastry. What does the bottom look like? You should be able to tell from that if it was on a pan when it was cooked. I'm wondering what you would end up with if you roll some danish dough (or maybe croissant or puff dough, I haven't tasted it so I don't know how sweet it is and if it's a yeast dough or not), fill it with a cream cheese filling, fold it and fry it. Rolling the dough on sugar instead of flour would achieve the sugar coated version.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

They look fried in the picture (to me), you can see the little blisters on the surface of the pastry.

I thought perhaps they may be fried also, but then the burnt end on the one on the right clued me in that at least that one was baked. The one on the left may have been fried. It's hard to tell. I do know that a nice flaky pie dough will look blistery like that when baked, and I think from the deep brown look of the pastry, it's probably rolled in a generous amount of sugar. I really doubt that it's a yeast dough though....it's not puffy enough.

Sounds good to me. You're the expert, I was just guessing. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.