• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substitute for Aji Amarillo

During one of my grocery walks I found aji panca, one of the main ingredients of anitcucho marinade, but there was no aji amarillo. Could anyone tell me a reasonable substitute for this pepper's specific flavour profile, with little change to the taste of authentic anticucho? I also found some rocoto paste, would this do?

Thanks

There's really no substitute for the aji amarillo that I know of. The aji rocoto is a notch or two hotter than the aji amarillo, with a different flavor, so it is not a good substitute.

Various online purveyors sell the dried chiles. I've done business with Gourmetsleuth for cooking utensils, not chiles, & they were fine. http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/equivalents_s...ndex=A&tid=2417

If I am unable to source out the aji amarillo locally, I'll just wing it. I'll try habanero first or perhaps a mixture of other sweet pepper. I'll try removing the seeds and membranes and soaking the habanero in milk to lower the heat a little.

• 2 years later...