• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fugu

Substitute for Aji Amarillo

5 posts in this topic

During one of my grocery walks I found aji panca, one of the main ingredients of anitcucho marinade, but there was no aji amarillo. Could anyone tell me a reasonable substitute for this pepper's specific flavour profile, with little change to the taste of authentic anticucho? I also found some rocoto paste, would this do?

Thanks

There's really no substitute for the aji amarillo that I know of. The aji rocoto is a notch or two hotter than the aji amarillo, with a different flavor, so it is not a good substitute.

Various online purveyors sell the dried chiles. I've done business with Gourmetsleuth for cooking utensils, not chiles, & they were fine. http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/equivalents_s...ndex=A&tid=2417

I've got some growing and while it isn't a perfect substitute, you could try habanero. Both are quite fruity, although the habanero has more apricot/fruit and the Aji is more grassy.

If I am unable to source out the aji amarillo locally, I'll just wing it. I'll try habanero first or perhaps a mixture of other sweet pepper. I'll try removing the seeds and membranes and soaking the habanero in milk to lower the heat a little.

Growing up, my dad always used the Hungarian wax peppers as a suitable, if not perfect, substitute. Having subsequently had the chance to try the real thing, i think the substitute is reasonable. It has the similar grassy flavor and the heat levels are fairly close.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0