• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lamb & Rice w Cherries - ?yagout chalow?

Our favorite Afghan restaurant makes this and calls it yagout chalow.

menu

gallery_42210_5882_26948.jpg

I remember some years back making this from a recipe in the Time Life Foods of the World ringbound recipe book. I dont have the books now.

Would someone who has that recipe or a similar one please have pity, and summarize the ingredients and methods?

All the recipes I find on line are for rice alone or with chicken.

Thanks in hopeful advance.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Our favorite Afghan restaurant makes this and calls it yagout chalow.

menu

gallery_42210_5882_26948.jpg

I remember some years back making this from a recipe in the Time Life Foods of the World ringbound recipe book. I dont have the books now.

Would someone who has that recipe or a similar one please have pity, and summarize the ingredients and methods?

All the recipes I find on line are for rice alone or with chicken.

Thanks in hopeful advance.

Are we looking at cherries?? I have the books and see a recipe for Steamed Rice with Sour Cherries and Chicken.... might that be it?

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

this is the recipe I use for sour cherry rice it is Persian but looks really similar to what you want ..this is one of my favorite dishes on earth!

cherry rice

New Food of Life is also my favorite Persian cookbook my copy is really beaten up from use!

ETA whoops you want the lamb ..I got so excited when I saw you wanted the cherry rice I did not go any further

I have a recipe for Afghani lamb stew that looks really similar I will dig it out and post it maybe the two together will get you want you want....the rice is made with chicken stock but I serve it with roasted lamb

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Yes, cherries.

Its been so long since I made it, it could have been chicken.... :unsure:

That's the star in all the recipes I found on line too.

Thanks to you, and on another thread, dockhl, for your help with cherry rice recipes.

I think I will be cobbling together recipes to make it work with lamb. wheeee!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

The cherry rice is SO good ! Can you tell us a little about the lamb? (It sounds awesome with lamb but all I can find is my Persian lamb which is roasted, no sauce....or the Sultan's Delight (Braised Lamb on Smoked Eggplant Cream) which might work. I forget who gave us that recipe in one of the foodblogs, maybe?

• 5 months later...
The cherry rice is SO good ! Can you tell us a little about the lamb? (It sounds awesome with lamb but all I can find is my Persian lamb which is roasted, no sauce....or the Sultan's Delight (Braised Lamb on Smoked Eggplant Cream) which might work. I forget who gave us that recipe in one of the foodblogs, maybe?

Oh my gosh, you have a good memory! It was from Smithy's blog way back in 2005! I remember the poor look in her dog's eyes. He really wanted some of that lamb!