• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Product Liability Insurance

pringle007

In order to atenda few farmer's markets in the area, in need to aquire product liability insurance. Does anyone here have any exp. dealing with this? What company did you use?

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

I would call around to different places asking for commercial liability insurance.I was going through Farmer's Insurance, paying about 1,100/year, but then switched to another company and am paying like $550/year, so rates do vary. Also, like most insurance policies, you can bring your rate down by increasing your deductable. Also, your farmer's market will probably require a certain amount of coverage, say one or two million. That will also affect your price.

Since I don't really understand insurance (nor do I want to fill up my mind with those boring details), also find an agent that is nice and willing to explain the different policies for you, not just hand you a complicated form and ask you to fill it out ;)

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

If you will be offering prepared foods, I think what you need is called finished goods insurance.

A side issue, but you might also need to get a state department of agriculture license. When my restaurant ran a concession at the Philadelphia Zoo, the PA Dept. of Agriculture dropped in one day to inspect our kitchen, telling us that a city health department license was not sufficient for off premise sales.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

If you will be offering prepared foods, I think what you need is called finished goods insurance. 

A side issue, but you might also need to get a state department of agriculture license.  When my restaurant ran a concession at the Philadelphia Zoo, the PA Dept. of Agriculture dropped in one day to inspect our kitchen, telling us that a city health department license was not sufficient for off premise sales.

Auto Owners Insurance offers a policy. It was costing me about $550 a year.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Does anyone have any exp. in dealing with product liability insurance for chocolates or confections? If so, what company do you use?

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

Does anyone have any exp. in dealing with product liability insurance for chocolates or confections? If so, what company do you use?

Most insurance companies that deal with businesses should be able to take care of this. 1 Million dollars of liability should be enough to cover anything that may arise.

ibjack is right on. The one thing I'll say is that you should really shop around - we're a really really really small business and we got a quote for around $1200, then shopped it around and ended up at about $400 through a guy my car/homeowners insurance agent works with. The company is Erie Insurance.

Patty

I also use a small agency, he shopped around and came up with Hartford.

I pay $350/year for 2 million liability coverage.

And my agent now uses me for corporate gifting!

• 2 weeks later...