• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Barbecue Around New Orleans

vinonola

This weekend's Bayou Boogaloo Festival brought some great food to Mid-City New Orleans, in particular The Cue Truck. A big, purple panel truck outfitted with a kitchen, these guys did some amazing smoked meats this weekend and adorned them with some perfect condiments.

First was a 12 hour pulled pork with a red cabbage slaw, also on hand was a 12 hour Roast Beef with a pickled onion slaw. The flavors of the roast beef and onions were best, but the pork with the slaw made for the better "eating whole" sandwich.

I know that NOLA is NOT known for great BBQ (or even very good 'cue for that matter) but this was a very admirable effort and one I will seek out again.

"I often wonder what the Vintners buy

One half so precious as the Goods they sell."

- Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

I agree that these guys are great. Not sure if the menu changes a lot, but I've also had some killer grit fries and pot stickers off the truck.

They set up outside most shows at Tipitina's (or they did six months go--since having a baby I have been prowling the bars much). I've also seen them at the monthly Bywater art market.

Does anyone know where else they set up? Anyone have a contact number for them?

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I think they are going to start coming to the Farmer's Market in Mid-City on Thursday Afternoons.

They also did these fried boudin balls with a mustard dipping sauce that were out of sight flavor wise, if not a little too mushy texturally (a little too big maybe).

"I often wonder what the Vintners buy

One half so precious as the Goods they sell."

- Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

Have you had the pulled pork with the creole mustard bbq sauce from Pull My Pork? He was at the last Freret Market and the Broadmoor Festival. I like the Cue Truck (love those boudin balls), but I'm a little partial to this guy... he's my husband. :wub:

We're getting good feedback (would love more!), but barbecue is pretty personal.

And speaking of barbecue, the lamb at the Greek Festival today was amazing, as always.

“The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.”

~ James Beard

Have you had the pulled pork with the creole mustard bbq sauce from Pull My Pork? He was at the last Freret Market and the Broadmoor Festival. I like the Cue Truck (love those boudin balls), but I'm a little partial to this guy... he's my husband.  :wub:

We're getting good feedback (would love more!), but barbecue is pretty personal.

You're husband is doing a good job. Tried that pulled pork at the Freret Market this month. Lots of great smoke flavor on the meat.

Is it just me, or are catering-type operations (the Cue Truck would fit that category, wouldn't it?), doing the best job with barbecue in New Orleans these days?

Another favorite of mine is Walker BBQ out in New Orleans East. It's a year-round source for cochon de lait po-boys. They've got a permanent little stand down (I'd hesitate to call it a restaurant), but they started as a catering operation.

Thanks for the compliment. He's having fun and is now experimenting with smoked crawfish. We did some for ourselves this weekend and they are definitely a different taste. I'm not sure they'll be ready to go for the Oak St. BBQ Festival, so he'll probably just stick to the Boston Butt.

I've heard of Walker, but we haven't been yet. I think you're right on about the operations offering good barbecue. I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with the amount of time it takes to smoke meat well... from figuring out how long the meat has to smoke, to what kind of wood, to what kind of seasoning, etc. to then actually taking the time to smoke it! When I think of good 'cue around the country it almost always seems to be from places that ONLY do 'cue and maybe a side or two.

“The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.”

~ James Beard

I think you're right on about the operations offering good barbecue. I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with the amount of time it takes to smoke meat well... from figuring out how long the meat has to smoke, to what kind of wood, to what kind of seasoning, etc. to then actually taking the time to smoke it! When I think of good 'cue around the country it almost always seems to be from places that ONLY do 'cue and maybe a side or two.

You could be right about that. If you're only making one or two dishes, then you can afford to spend all day smoking meat.

It could also be that restaurants in a city have a hard time finding the space for a proper smoker.

It could also be that restaurants in a city have a hard time finding the space for a proper smoker.

I'm going to have to disagree on that one. Plenty of Chicago 'cue joints have smokers, and space is even tighter than it is in NOLA.

I'm going to have to disagree on that one. Plenty of Chicago 'cue joints have smokers, and space is even tighter than it is in NOLA.

Good point, although I wonder what the city regulations are here on smokers?

I am usually pretty happy with the pulled pork at Hillbilly Bar-B-Que in River Ridge, its only about a 9 iron from inlaws so I stop by often. Good sauce, which he sells by the jar, and his baked beans with pork debris are excellent. He trucks his hickory in from Kentucky. I really wish we had something like Sweatman's in Charleston that cooks a whole hog. And why won't anyone cook shoulder clods. Thanks for tips on the Cue Truck and Pull My Pork, I am going to have to get out to more local events for the food. Need to hit Walkers also. ch

• 1 month later...

I'm not a 'que expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like it a lot :D I think The Joint in the Bywater is pretty darn good though I haven't tried the truck in comparison.

www.alwayssmokin.com

JeAnne

Xander: How exactly do you make cereal?

Buffy: Ah. You put the box near the milk. I saw it on the Food Channel.

-BtVS