• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chilled Raspberry Frosting?

MSRadell

What I was growing up in upstate New York my grandmother and mother used to make a chilled raspberry frosting that was very fluffy and very easy to make. Over the years I've lost track of a recipe to make it. I remember it had very few ingredients, I do remember fresh raspberries and I believe granulated sugar and I don't remember anything else (if there was). You dumped everything into a chilled bowl and whipped it at high speed until it almost looked like pink whipped cream. It was served over angel food or pound cake and was totally delicious.

Has anyone else ever had anything like this? Hopefully someone will remember a recipe.

Thanks

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

What I was growing up in upstate New York my grandmother and mother used to make a chilled raspberry frosting that was very fluffy and very easy to make.  Over the years I've lost track of a recipe to make it.  I remember it had very few ingredients, I do remember fresh raspberries and I believe granulated sugar and I don't remember anything else (if there was).  You dumped everything into a chilled bowl and whipped it at high speed until it almost looked like pink whipped cream.  It was served over angel food or pound cake and was totally delicious.

Has anyone else ever had anything like this?  Hopefully someone will remember a recipe.

Thanks

It sounds like a whipped cream frosting. I've eaten this with a spoon, sans cake. :laugh:

Like this?

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Thanks, but unfortunately that's not it. I found that recipe while doing a google search and tried it. It's actually not very close, it's lighter and doesn't have anywhere near as much raspberry in it. I sort of remember equal parts of raspberry and sugar in the recipe (I think) in I don't believe it had any (or much) cream in it.

I bet it had eggwhites. They still whip up well with fruit.

Whip together for 8 minutes or till stiff:

3 large egg whites

3 cups strawberries, sliced

10 1/2 ounces sugar

1 1/2 ounces lemon juice

Whip till soft peaks and fold into berry mix:

12 ounces heavy cream

Pour over crust and freeze 6 hours.

This is from a recipe called Frosty Strawberry Squares and is put on a walnut cookie crust but it might give you a place to begin. It suggests if using a tart berry like cranberries or raspberries to replace the lemon juice with orange.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

That sounds good in I think I may try it but I'm sure it's not the original one. In the original one you just put everything into one bowl and whipped, the end product wasn't quite as thick as whipped cream, it flowed a little.