• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Transfer sheet machine

ibjack

The site I linked to above has a small video showing how these sheets are printed, and yes you do get an actual transfer sheet.

Fabulous. I actually have that printer. This would be excellent for the quick one-offs for a party or something.

One thing I thought interesting - when they showed him putting the transfer in the mold it showed 'deco' the right way around, and when he unmolded it - it was still the right way around. You would actually have to print your logo reversed to get it to come out the right way around. I suspect the software would allow you to do that.

You are still going to get transparent inks rather than opaque with this system, so to have them show up nicely on dark chocolate may require putting titanium dioxide in behind the image somehow.

Funny thing kerry, I also have that printer. lol

Luis

• 3 weeks later...
gonna have to look into this one a bit more.  if there's white edible ink, couldn't you print a 'base layer' of white upon which to print your colors to get them to 'pop'?  Has anyone experience with this piece of equipment?

I downloaded the sample version and you can have whatever coloured background that you want.

gonna have to look into this one a bit more.  if there's white edible ink, couldn't you print a 'base layer' of white upon which to print your colors to get them to 'pop'?  Has anyone experience with this piece of equipment?

I downloaded the sample version and you can have whatever coloured background that you want.

I couldn't get the sample version to work. I'm curious though, can you get it to print a PDF file if not to print on a printer?

I couldn't get the sample version to work. I'm curious though, can you get it to print a PDF file if not to print on a printer?

I didn't try so I am not sure. I got as far as preview. What I could not do is go into "my documents" to upload an image. It would only pull up my "programs" menu. I am going to email Tim and inquire if that is part of his security feature. I don't think it is necessary to import the printer from Europe as we can walk into any of the big electronic store to purchase it. What I need is the stick, ink, maybe sheets, conversion kit for the printer. I plan on getting this unit as it will be very useful for corporate work, weddings, etc..

I didn't try so I am not sure. I got as far as preview. What I could not do is go into "my documents" to upload an image. It would only pull up my "programs" menu. I am going to email Tim and inquire if that is part of his security feature. I don't think it is necessary to import the printer from Europe as we can walk into any of the big electronic store to purchase it. What I need is the stick, ink, maybe sheets, conversion kit for the printer. I plan on getting this unit as it will be very useful for corporate work, weddings, etc..

The ink is available from Baker's Warehouse. Not sure about the sheets.

Qzina carries acetate sheets but they would have to be cut down to size. Looking at the measurements from Qzina, we could get 2 proper strips from one sheet. I got the prices from Tim and I am going to order this product sometime this week. I will order the initial 100 sheets from them.

Started looking at the price and finding out exactly what I need for the printer system.

I was quoted by chocolate world: Ink set cartridge 4 colours: 80 Euros

Canon carrier edible ink: 50 Euro

USB stick and Chocolate Artist software: 98 Euro

Transfer sheets per 100: 54 Euro

Ups shipping to my door: 46.49 Euro

Now Kerry went into the DECO website and discovered that it is much cheaper.

Ink set cartridges 5 colours includes conversion kit: 65.85 L

USB stick and chocolate artist software: 80 L

Transfer sheets: 50 L

Shipping: 19.85 L

What you need no question is the USB stick and software. And also the conversion kit. The Deco ink is 5 cartidges compared to Chocolate World which is 4.

What do they mean by conversion kit. I just assumed that all you needed was the edible ink cartridges. Maybe you need a set of print heads for the printer that are different? food safe?

I've asked them if they'd be willing to send me an example sheet of the printed transfers, or if i could purchase one, to physically work with it and see the finished product first hand. We'll see what comes of it...stay tuned...if it's able to yield good results, i'd absolutely buy some. I'm a little skeptical however...

What do they mean by conversion kit.  I just assumed that all you needed was the edible ink cartridges.  Maybe you need a set of print heads for the printer that are different? food safe?

Kerry, I'm confused as well. It's an ordinary inkjet printer. What is special about their conversion kit or software? Why can't you just buy edible ink in cartridges and then print anything you want? What does their software do? Because really, I'd rather use Adobe Illustrator to make patterns than anything else...

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

What do they mean by conversion kit.  I just assumed that all you needed was the edible ink cartridges.  Maybe you need a set of print heads for the printer that are different? food safe?

Kerry, I'm confused as well. It's an ordinary inkjet printer. What is special about their conversion kit or software? Why can't you just buy edible ink in cartridges and then print anything you want? What does their software do? Because really, I'd rather use Adobe Illustrator to make patterns than anything else...

Mu understanding is that the one time purchase of the conversion kit allow the cartridges tp fit properly in the printer. I will email Tim and ask.

Edited: I just got the email back from Tim at Chocolate World. He says the conversion kit is the only way to get the edible ink to work.

The software is designed to fit the transfer sheets to the moulds and it is probably a good business decision as everyone is in business to make money!!

Edited by prairiegirl (log)

On Thurs or Fri of this week i should have some example sheets arriving to my attention so i can evaluate them in person. I'll be leaving for a national conference, so unfort i won't have the opportunity to evaluate them until next week when i return. will let you know what i think of them. they can't print anything in white, as the only FDA approved white colorant is titanium dioxide, and it's reactive enough with the material used in the print head that it destroys the print heads quickly, according to the mfr. it also works best on white chocolate, then milk chocolate, and is least impressive on dark chocolate, again according to the mfr.

Certainly. Only issue i see with that is that any of your transparent areas will now have a white backing vs clear. net affect may be that the transfer would look more like a sticker than a transfer, which may be ok for some transfers, but i don't think it'd work great for all.

Certainly.  Only issue i see with that is that any of your transparent areas will now have a white backing vs clear.  net affect may be that the transfer would look more like a sticker than a transfer, which may be ok for some transfers, but i don't think it'd work great for all.

True, you really want the titanium dioxide just behind the image.

can someone please tell me why nobody makes a transfer sheet printer with an aditional titanium dioxide color. i know that its possible to get titanium dioxide at a very fine grade, so with the right emulsifier it should work...

cheers

t.

Edited by schneich (log)

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

apparently it interacts with the metal in the print heads, corroding it very quickly. I know absolutely nothing about printer head design, that's just what the mfr tells me, so i have to take him at his word. it probably translates to 'we can fix it by altering printer head design/metallurgy, but it's way too expensive'.

• 3 weeks later...
On Thurs or Fri of this week i should have some example sheets arriving to my attention so i can evaluate them in person.  I'll be leaving for a national conference, so unfort i won't have the opportunity to evaluate them until next week when i return.  will let you know what i think of them.  they can't print anything in white, as the only FDA approved white colorant is titanium dioxide, and it's reactive enough with the material used in the print head that it destroys the print heads quickly, according to the mfr.  it also works best on white chocolate, then milk chocolate, and is least impressive on dark chocolate, again according to the mfr.

Sebastian - just bumping this topic up: did the samples arrive / have you had time to play with them yet? Curious if you had any thoughts . . .