• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Transfer sheet machine

ibjack

I think Lloydchoc is the guy you need to talk to. I know that somewhere in eG there was a discussion about a pad printing machine for this purpose. As I recall someone said they had seen one for sale on ebay.

This one uses cacao butter to print. I know chocolate world has them but I don't know where else.  gallery_53591_4944_1908.jpg

Lior, i couldn't find it on Chocolate Worlds website, but I did find it in other places. How do I find a way to use cocoa butter to print?

Hello. We were shown them in Belgium at Callebaut in a course and were told that ch world carries them. I don't yet have one so I don't really know about how it works. However I will be in Belgium again at around June 11-15 and at chocolate world. I can ask at the course and at choc world if you want. Perhaps the place that carries them may also have info. I would guess colored cacao butter is injected into the empty ink cartridge and them you print on plastic acetate sheet that is safe for food. Let me know if you want me to find out. I am sure I will now ask anyway in case I get one one day when I have extra funds!!

All my best in the meanwhile!

Hello. We were shown them in Belgium at Callebaut in a course and were told that ch world carries them. I don't yet have one so I don't really know about how it works. However I will be in Belgium again at around June 11-15 and at chocolate world. I can ask at the course and at choc world if you want. Perhaps the place that carries them may also have info. I would guess colored cacao butter is injected into the empty ink cartridge and them you print on plastic acetate sheet that is safe for food. Let me know if you want me to find out. I am sure I will now ask anyway in case I get one one day when I have extra funds!!

All my best in the meanwhile!

Lior

Could you get more info on it. Especially where to get empty food safe cartridges. How to keep cocoa butter warm enough to flow properly? An d about filling cartridges? It looks like the printer is only about $130. In the price range where you could play around with it.

Thanks

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

The printers don't make transfer sheets. They use food safe ink to print on stuff. Then it gets transfered to cakes and iced cookies. The only time I saw it used I didn't think it would be suitable for chocolate, but I may be wrong.

Lots of places sell the edible ink cartridges for it - Baker's Warehouse in Toronto - any cake decorating supply places should.

The ink isn't opaque so if you could use it on chocolate I suspect you;d have to use white chocolate to see the patterns.

The site I linked to above has a small video showing how these sheets are printed, and yes you do get an actual transfer sheet.

Fabulous. I actually have that printer. This would be excellent for the quick one-offs for a party or something.

One thing I thought interesting - when they showed him putting the transfer in the mold it showed 'deco' the right way around, and when he unmolded it - it was still the right way around. You would actually have to print your logo reversed to get it to come out the right way around. I suspect the software would allow you to do that.

You are still going to get transparent inks rather than opaque with this system, so to have them show up nicely on dark chocolate may require putting titanium dioxide in behind the image somehow.

Does it have a built in warmer to keep the cocoa butter liquid?

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

gonna have to look into this one a bit more. if there's white edible ink, couldn't you print a 'base layer' of white upon which to print your colors to get them to 'pop'? Has anyone experience with this piece of equipment?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been dealing with Tim from Chocolate World and he has been great to deal with, answering many questions. I will be getting the set up to print my own transfer sheets soon. I will let you know how it works.

i might ask for a sample sheet to test first prior to buying it - pay for a sheet if you have to, but i'd want to 'kick the tires' so to speak before buying the car 8-)

That's a great idea but the whole set up requires a few parts to make it work. From the video on the website it appears to look very easy with good results.

Maybe they could send me a pre printed sheet and I could go from there?

I'm interested in knowing if I could just use the software part of this to align logos etc into the perfect positions for various molds, then use that file to print a film that I could use to make a silk screen.

Only issue is that I have a Mac.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

i might ask for a sample sheet to test first prior to buying it - pay for a sheet if you have to, but i'd want to 'kick the tires' so to speak before buying the car 8-)

That's a great idea but the whole set up requires a few parts to make it work. From the video on the website it appears to look very easy with good results.

Maybe they could send me a pre printed sheet and I could go from there?

That's what i meant, not have them send you a blank sheet, but a pre-printed one. if you do it, i'd love to see/hear results!

Kerry, i have a mac as well - if it's a 'newer' one (last couple of years) you can use boot camp or parallels to emulate a windows environment and run anything that runs on a PC right on your mac

Kerry, i have a mac as well - if it's a 'newer' one (last couple of years) you can use  boot camp or parallels to emulate a windows environment and run anything that runs on a PC right on your mac

I've got Virtual PC on my slightly older Mac, but it's FUBAR since I tried to load the tax program earlier this year. I think I need to reinstall it but not sure where I got the Windows 2000 from that's in there.