• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canadian Lobster Po-Boy

Today I decided to try something new, I've only had lobster two or three times in my life and was not that impressed. A friend told me the "Maine Lobster Roll" was one of his favorite things to eat, so I decided to make my own.

I went out to Albertson's and had them steam two of them with Tony Chachere's seasoning. They were a little over a pound each and the both of them cost 36 dollars at 15 per pound. Very pricy, I shook my head but smiled when I finished extracting the meat and saw how little was in the bowl. I noticed on the rubber bands that held the claws the words "Wild" and "Canada". I found it very easy to peel, almost exactly like a large crawfish. I used a heavy knife to crack the claws.

The standard Maine Lobster Roll recipe calls for diced cucumber, green onion and fresh taragon, mayo (I used blue plate) salt (didn't really require it) and cracked pepper. This is placed on a sort of hot dog bun that you toast in a skillet with butter, but I decided to use french bread.

I thought I would share with you guys my not so great pictures of a 20 dollar po-boy. I have to say it was very good, a bit better than the taste of crawfish but not that dissimilar. The salad recipe had a nice flavor and I'd like to experiment but at that price it probably wont happen.

http://www.doresoftware.com/misc/photos/Lobster1.jpg

http://www.doresoftware.com/misc/photos/Lobster2.jpg

http://www.doresoftware.com/misc/photos/Lobster3.jpg

http://www.doresoftware.com/misc/photos/Lobster4.jpg

I love lobster rolls but make them with lobster, mayo, salt and pepper only! I don't want anything to detract from the taste of the lobster.

I can definitely see where you're coming from, I was sort of thinking that the cucumber and green onion had a strong taste when I was eating it. I didn't really detect the taragon.

If I ever do it again I may cut way back on the cucumber and green onion, and possibly try a different mayo. Blue Plate is my favorite consumer brand but I've had some Japanese mayo that was really good.

I may also want to try a different bread.

Edited by Chaduke (log)

Is that really all the lobster you got? For $36?

I love the looks of your toasted bun. I didn't realize Maine lobster rolls were usually on toasted buns (the only ones I've had have been on untoasted buns). Toasting makes everything better! (as does frying)

Edited by prasantrin (log)

.....I went out to Albertson's.........

Your first mistake.

I lived in BR for a few years and can say without prejudice that Albertson's is not a very good place to get seafood from either a value or quality standpoint. I understand what you were shooting for here flavor wise, but considering your proximity to great local seafood wouldn't a trip to Joey's for some crawfish had been a better use of your time and money?

Edited by vinonola (log)

"I often wonder what the Vintners buy

One half so precious as the Goods they sell."

- Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

For $20, you could have bought a whole pound of peeled LA crawfish and made three or four fried crawfish poboys! I'm amused by your efforts to po-boy the lobster. I too am always disappointed by lobster--rubbery, bland, awash in butter. Perhaps if I'd ever had it fresh off the boat in Maine I'd feel differently.

2 years ago, I bought 2 Canadian lobster tails( frozen). I'd planned on making Lobster roll's for xmas. I actually thought the lobster was terrible and I've come to the conclusion that you should only use Maine lobster for these.

I'll go dig up a pic.

Prasantrin : yes, after removing the meat I was left with about 1/2 pound.

Vinonola and HungryC : I'm very aware of the local crawfish in my area, but my idea was to do lobster. A friend, also a cook, raves about lobster all the time and I haven't really had a lot of experience with it.

I also have had a few bad experiences with Albertson's seafood, but the main reason I went is because they were live and they steam them for you in 10 minutes. I really don't see it as a mistake because the lobster meat was very good, much better tasting than crawfish in my opinion, but still not worth the money. My main goal was to satisfy my curiosity.

TAPrice : I may do it again for a special occasion, especially if I could find a source of live lobster for significantly less than what I paid.

CaliPoutine : I thought the meat tasted great, much better than the "Maine" lobster I've had in restaurants. Personally I would suspect the fact that yours was frozen had something to do with it.

Edited by Chaduke (log)

HungryC, having lived outside of Boston for 6 years, I can say that right off the boat is better. What makes it even better is $3 a pound!!!!. But the funny thing is, in 6 years I bought lobster MAYBE 6 times and usually when a friend was up visiting. Once my uncle visited and we boiled lobster in crab boil. It did not really work.

I don''t get the lobster thing. Maybe because growing up in southeast Louisiana has spoiled me for really good seafood. I like OUR oysters and shrimp better than any others and I will take a crawfish boil over a lobster dinner any day.

• 5 months later...
Aren't Canadian and Maine lobsters the same (Homarus americanus)? What specifically makes them different?

Yes, they're the same. There was a bit of a discussion on this topic: Lobster Prices Tank. Some say cold nutrient-rich seawater makes for a better lobster. The Northumberland Strait (which separates Prince Edward Island from Nova Scotia and New Brunswick) has the warmest waters north of the Carolinas. Good for swimming, not so good for lobsters.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack