• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner for 6 at or under 100€ per person all inclu

John Talbott

Without going through all my issues (eg ignorance, cheapness, lunch preference, "been there done that," senility, neurosis, etc) I have been asked by one of my bosses in one of my prior lives to recommend a great place for 6 persons for or under 100€ per person all included for DINNER. I suggested lunch at the Meurice, les Ambasadeurs, le Bristol, Lancaster, Passiflore, etc or a pique-nique in the park Monceau, but for dinner, folks, I need your help (you know who you are - Julot, Pti, Choco, Pierre, Bu, Margaret, Laidback, Carlsbad, Zouave, OAKGLEN, Andy, Felice, prashant, Fresh A, Paga, and especially now - Robyn and Vinotas who've just done all the research). I apologize for those I've omitted - pile on! Merci!

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Here is my last for somewhat fancy places for dinner costing 100 euros/person .If wines chosen are under 50 euros.

Drouant

Sensing

Les magnolias

Gaya rive gauche

les ormes

Ah Pierre, bless you. I think Drouant would do quite well. Les Magnolias, as we know, no one will venture out to, but thanks. Great!

John Talbott

I would totally emphasise l'Acajou. Also, if fancy is more a factor than good food, La Maison de l'Amérique Latine. La Maison Courtine can also work -- I went this week, and while I was not excited, it was good food in a 45 eur menu. And it definitely has some fanciness to it. Senderens can do it but it would require some discipline. What about Tante Louise or Marguerite? That would be my choice (Louise). Auguste also works. And Il Vino's menu including wine is at 100eur exactly. If they're in the mood, I had a suprisingly good meal at Le Petit Zinc recently. And also, I don't know if you're aware, at Gordon Ramsay's Veranda in Versailles. Vin sur vin if careful.

Also, I will say it again, fancy affordable pleasant dinners in Paris are Chinese: Vong, Chen, Le mandarin de Passy, Tse Yang, even Tong Yen fit the bill. Even Lac Hong.

Edited by julot-les-pinceaux (log)

Caius? L'Angle du Faubourg? Dominique Bouchet? Chez Eux? ETC?

Edited by fresh_a (log)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

My husband suggests l'Arome. Eric Martin will make your party feel welcomed and special. We enjoyed his hospitality several times at L'Ami Marcel and were received like royalty at l'Arome. The setting is chic and somewhat formal, if this qualifies as "fancy". Our plates didn't disappoint and seemed to blow away adjacent American tables. FWIW.

3, Rue St Philippe du Roule

75008 Paris, France

+33 1 42 25 55 98

eGullet member #80.

Here is my last for somewhat fancy places for dinner costing 100 euros/person .If wines chosen are under 50 euros.

Drouant

Sensing

Les magnolias

Gaya rive gauche

les ormes

I loved les Ormes but am fairly sure it has closed.

Drouant

Sensing

Les magnolias

Gaya rive gauche

les ormes

I loved les Ormes but am fairly sure it has closed.

The ex-Bellecoeur location? My oh my.

Lots of great ideas here, thanks.

Margaret, I agree about l'Arome, Eric Martin sure remembers faces.

Julot, unfortunately we had a bad meal at L'Acajou.

Fresh_A: an OK but not memorable one at L'Angle du Faubourg for the cost and for some reason Dominique Bouchet no longer excites my gang.

But thanks to everyone.

John

John Talbott

What about Le Versance ? The food is good, the setting is quite nice, it's a bit fancy and it shouldn't be too hard to have a full dinner w/ wine for less than EUR100 (last dinner there, 180EUR for 2, with 2 glasses of champagne, wines, 3 shared desserts and digestive/tea)

What about Le Versance ? The food is good, the setting is quite nice, it's a bit fancy and it shouldn't be too hard to have a full dinner w/ wine for less than EUR100 (last dinner there, 180EUR for 2, with 2 glasses of champagne, wines, 3 shared desserts and digestive/tea)

Absolutely, I love it; I gave my ex-boss my advice; we'll see what happens.

John Talbott

I know that you are aware that Les ormes is no more. I would second L'Acajou, 2 visits were better than good, Carte Blanche would qualify in my book, as would Violon d'Ingres, Petrossian, Au Gourmand, Drouant...how many do you want?

I know that you are aware that Les ormes is no more. I would second L'Acajou, 2 visits were better than good, Carte Blanche would qualify in my book, as would Violon d'Ingres, Petrossian, Au Gourmand, Drouant...how many do you want?

Thanks Laidback, I'm deluged.

Who knows the story on Les Ormes/Bellecoeur?

John Talbott

Up and down.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

John - Thanks for the compliment - but all I know at this point (apart from what other people have told me) is what I've been reading. No personal experience. I am approximately half-way through the Michelin Guide (up to about the 8th arr.) - and the only restaurant I've bookmarked that meets your requirements is Auguste - 1 Michelin star. I liked the description of the blend of modern minimalist decor and contemporary but somewhat traditional food. OTOH - some people don't like this kind of decor (when they say they want "fancy" - they want a lot of gold leaf). I agree that lunch at various places would give a lot more "bang for the buck". Robyn

So many good choices have been suggested. On our last trip, six of us had an almost perfect dinner at Dominique Bouchet, especially for what it cost. We also thought Drouant was excellent, but it appears from the website that Antony Clement may have departed. Les Ormes would have been a great choice, but last I heard, the chef had turned to catering. Violon would be good, and they could probably set up something special in advance. L'Angle du Faubourg has good value, very good food and a terrific, reasonable wine list, but the decor is not very pleasing.

If this is to be a group of festive Americans, then scratch most of the small bistros; D'Chez Eux (traditional French fare) would work, as would Leo le Lion (seafood emphasis). Both are readily accessible by metro.