• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Powdered Brown Sugar

equality5271

Domino sells what they call brownulated sugar - it's a free flowing brown sugar. Is that similar to what you're looking for or was the product closer to a confectioner's/icing/powdered sugar?

Domino sells what they call brownulated sugar - it's a free flowing brown sugar.  Is that similar to what you're looking for or was the product closer to a confectioner's/icing/powdered sugar?

I wasn't going to get complicated, but we had two products. One was this...which is bigger chunks. and the other was a more powdered.

anywho, this is great and i think what i am looking for. thanks. i wonder if i can grind this into a powdered product without it caking.

Domino's Brownulator sugar says it won't cake or clump. Can we assume there's an additive - starch maybe? I wonder if you couldn't buzz it in your coffee grinder with a hint of starch to get to powdered brown sugar. What do you need it for? I can see all sorts of uses, but in most I could see adding a hint of molasses to get it close.

Or is there a way to make my own?

Hi,

This is very easy. Chunks of dried brown sugar are wonderful mixed into whipped creme fraiche.

Spread the sugar in a sheet pan and place in a convection oven at 150 to 200 degrees. Stir it, break up the chunks and check the moisture level every 20 minutes.

When it has cooled you can break it into a finer texture with a fork or run it briefly in a processor to your desired texture.

Store in a tight mason jar.

Tim