• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oaxen, Sweden

FDE

Michelin's coverage in Sweden is only limited to Stockholm. Otherwise, many top Swedish chefs would easily agree that this place would be at least a 2-star equivalent.

Oaxen is a hidden culinary treasure! It is as impressive as Fat Duck or El Bulli, and the food in Oaxen actually tastes better! In short, delicious food, innovative meal, awesome plating, entertaining demonstrations, top-notch service, unique location... Simply the most memorable meal in our life! I rarely say this, but this place is strongly recommended if you are in Sweden!

gallery_57364_6002_18527.jpg

After about 1hr+ drive and a 5-min ferry ride from Stockholm, we arrived at this small island, Oaxen.

gallery_57364_6002_2409.jpg

It was a long meal consisted of 2 amuse bouches, 5 courses, 2 desserts, and many petits-fours. Here is a just a quick highlight:

Meticulous attention to details even for an Amuse Bouche:

gallery_57364_6002_19673.jpg

Demonstration of their smoking technique with clam and lobster:

gallery_57364_6002_3055.jpg

Crab terrine with black pudding:

gallery_57364_6002_50623.jpg

Foie gras with cardamom sugar and fried ink:

gallery_57364_6002_9392.jpg

Our server cracked open the clay and there was pork inside:

gallery_57364_6002_65689.jpg

Honey ice cream with brioche blanketed with a raspberry jelly:

gallery_57364_6002_49856.jpg

One of the desserts composed of a cream cake of pears squeezed in between two slices of spiced sugar, a browned butter ice cream, a terrine of peach, and salty pistachio:

gallery_57364_6002_40028.jpg

Full meal here:

www.finediningexplorer.com/rest_of_europe

Fine Dining Explorer

www.finediningexplorer.com

Great photos and report. This restaurant is also on my get-to short list. Denmark/Sweden and japan are the three countries that I have not yet been to that I most want to go to for culinary explorations. I would love to put this into an itinerary that would include Noma, Mathias Dahlgren and a few others.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I have heard a lot about Oaxen in comparison to Noma. Basically following the new wave of innovative scandinavian cooking using the amazing local ingredients from the nordic region. I hear they only open for 6 months a year also. Definitely wish to go there soon.

• 2 months later...

fde, saw on the main review you're going to Chez Dominique soon. You will LOVE it, very similar style of food and presentation to Oaxen (where I am desperate to go myself)

They have only tasting menus, no a la carte, just 5 course, 7 course or 9 course. A different selection of dishes is prepared for each menu - it's not just an extra 2 courses.

It is simply fantastic

www.diariesofadomesticatedgoddess.blogspot.com

fde, saw on the main review you're going to Chez Dominique soon. You will LOVE it, very similar style of food and presentation to Oaxen (where I am desperate to go myself). Lots of scandi dishes presented in a modern way

They have only tasting menus, no a la carte, just 5 course, 7 course or 9 course. A different selection of dishes is prepared for each menu - it's not just an extra 2 courses.

It is simply fantastic

www.diariesofadomesticatedgoddess.blogspot.com

• 2 months later...
fde, saw on the main review you're going to Chez Dominique soon. You will LOVE it, very similar style of food and presentation to Oaxen (where I am desperate to go myself)

Yes, we went to Chez Dominique last month. It was definitely an excellent meal, but I have to say our two meals at Oaxen (yes, we went back to Oaxen again) are much more interesting and delicious.

We had the 9-course surprise menu at Chez Dominique. There were interesting items like Foamy Greek Salad and Bacon Ice Cream. In addition, these two dishes are worth mentioning:

An arrangement of crisp, mousse, ice cream, foam, and pasta made with asparagus and parmesan:

gallery_57364_5484_37136.jpg

Terrine of oyster, salmon, and octopus garnished with sweet pepper, garlic sorbet and saffron ice cream:

gallery_57364_5484_11240.jpg

CLICK HERE FOR FULL DETAIL

Fine Dining Explorer

www.finediningexplorer.com