• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

President's Choice Soft Drinks (Soda/Pop)

Pam R

I don't drink a lot of carbonated drinks, but I can't stop myself -- I have to try the new PC flavours when they appear at my local SuperStore.

Last year it was blackcurrant -- didn't love it. Some other interesting flavours are cranberry, lemon, pomegranate, green apple, lemon -- most of them available in a sugar-free version. Some have been better than others. Last night I tried the new Lychee flavour. I like it. A lot.

Anybody else trying these out? Do you like them or do you think they should lose the formula for some of them?

As soon as I read this topic title and description I knew I'd be seeing the word lychee - I saw the product and almost bought a bottle.

I don't drink a lot of carbonated drinks, but I can't stop myself -- I have to try the new PC flavours when they appear at my local SuperStore.

Me too! I have a soft drink less than once a week but I am often lured to the PC products since they are so attractively packaged. I agree that some of the sodas are a lot better than others, packaging aside. It's amusing to see the ones that tank show up later with prices slashed, like sparkling whatever-berry $0.99 per case.

I like PC pomegranate and grapefruit soda. IMO the blueberry one looks better than it tastes.

Its a funny thing how some flavors just don't seem to cut it in the world of carbonation. Why, for example, is there no chocolate soda? Or is there? Vanilla is represented in most versions of cream soda, although not in the original version invented here in Nova Scotia over a hundred years ago (85 years after we invented ice hockey).

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I picked up a bottle of the lychee pop last week, but haven't gotten around to opening it yet. The PC ginger beer is a perennial favourite in our house, especially for Dark 'n' Stormys. It's got a great bite to it and isn't as sweet as a lot of the other commercial offerings. Now if only they offered it in cans as well as 2-litre bottles.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I found the Lychee soda to be satisfactory, but I doubt I'd make a point of buying it again. I do love their Jamaican-Style Ginger Beer, as well as their Green Apple flavours.

In general, I find PC products to be quite good, and their always coming out with new things to try.

The PC lychee product looks like this:

gallery_42214_5579_73784.jpg

The price was a mere $0.99 for 2 liters, like most of the house brand sodas. Begs the question "why does the 1 liter soda cost six dollars at the movie theater?".

I'll give the drink a 7.5/10. Right now I'm enjoying it with an ounce and a quarter of Beefeater gin so the new score is a full 8.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I dont think I have ever seen the brand.  Must be a canadian thing.

It is indeed -- and more specifically, only at specific grocery stores in Canada (the ones owned by Loblaws, Inc.)

no, there is a NJ USA supermarket that carries it..I just can't recall...Stop and Shop..Wegmans???

That's news to me -- are you sure you don't have it confused with another brand?

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/AboutPC/WhereToBuy.aspx

President's Choice is definitely sold in the US (NYTimes article--you may have to register to access it).

Apparently, Loblaw's also helped develop Wal-Mart's store brands.

My inquiring mind wants to know why the 2L PC tonic is so carbonated that it's nearly impossible to open it the first time without having it all over the kitchen. Doesn't matter how careful one is to not shake it up even the tiniest bit. I know open it in the sink with a towel over it. Odd thing is, cans are no problem. For 99 cents/2L I deal with it!

• 2 months later...

I just had the PC Jamaican style ginger ale last night - wow! It was incredibly good! The spicyness nearly knocked me over. I looked at the ingredients and it didn't mention cane sugar, but it had a fantastic caramel-y cane sugar-y finish. Yeah, I'm stocking up on this next time we go to Superstore!

Fred Meyer, a regional grocery/variety store chain in the Pacific Northwest, used to carry the PC brand. That stopped after they were acquired by Kroger's. It's a pity, since many of the PC items were very good.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

• 9 months later...

New flavour out this week: Passionfruit. Available in regular and diet. I tried the diet version and it's not bad -- maybe a little too . . floral? Or maybe it's a sweetener aftertaste. I'm not sure. But it's not so bad that I wouldn't drink it again. I should try the regular just to see if it's the sweetener or the flavour itself. Anyone else try it?

• 1 month later...

Not a new and exciting flavour, or even a fruit flavour, but I tried their root beer the other day. I suspect their root beer is made the same people who bottle A&W, while Safeway's store brand is made by the people who do Barq's (maybe even Hires). PC's root beer is quite sweet, and lacks complexity. I prefer Safeway's store brand (but would happily drink PC if nothing else were around--it's only 89cents for 2L, after all!).

• 5 months later...

Can anyone tell me about Club Soda? I have a can in front of me, 355 ml(12 oz. USA), says Ingredients: carbonated water. And the Nutrition Fact say 0% of this and that, HOWEVER, 1% sodium.

It's not President's Choice, but Compliments, another Canadian in-house brand, about the equal in terms of cost and quality.

Can I make my own somehow? Buy some gadget and do it? Is it cost-effective? get rid of the sodium? ???? How bad for you is the commercial product? Thanks

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thats 1% of your daily recommended dosage...not enough to worry about....you can't live without some salt...

Bud

Thanks for putting it into a useful perspective.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.