• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Diner on I-81

MiFi

I'll be driving up I-81 tomorrow - up to Canada in fact - and looking for a solid feed on a long drive close off the interstate. Any suggestions? I know about Dutch Kitchen (as reported on roadfood.com), but is there another not-to-be-missed? Breakfast is likely to be the meal.

I-81 covers a lot of ground and you don't say which part of it you will be on for your breakfast stop but, in general, you will be entering a land where quantity counts for considerably more than quality or originality. If you happen to be passing through the Carlisle area in the a.m., I would recommend either Fay's on S. Hanover or the Carlisle Downtown Cafe on N. Hanover(both conveniently located a couple of minutes off the, you guessed it, Hanover Street exit. I usually go to the latter because it is less crowded but both have better than average breakfasts. The buckwheat cakes and smoked sausage are a good combination.

The pancakes at Chick's Diner on Moosic St in Scranton (Meadow Ave. exit, a quick left, then a quick right, the a quick left onto Moosic St and Chick's) are top notch, thin and expertly made.

Any of the pizza places in Old Forge, PA (Davis St exit, follow Davis St into Old Forge and turn left), serve a unique style of pie, rectangular slices, that resemble Sicilian, but are far lighter and much more addictive. Choose from Maxie's on Keyser Ave., to Giggarelli's, Arcaro & Gennel's, Club 17 (all along Main St.), but almost any of them are terrific depoartures from round pizza, and the other Italina food at these places can also be quite good.

Killer Texas Weiners can be found at the classic original Coney Island Lunch (Central Scranton Expressway exit, then the Cedar Ave off ramp, then bear right onto Cedar Ave, and look for the place on the left under the railroad trestle!); it's like stepping back into the 20's with old hand stamped tile, wooden booths and very good dogs and root beer.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Too late to help the OP, but my favorite diner up that way is Tom's Kitchen, in Conyngham.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.