• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry tip and coupler questions

sygyzy

Hi,

I purchased this tip set from JB Prince. I also bought a standard delrin coupler.

The problem is that many of the tips are huge. So big that they don't fit over the coupler. I only see one size coupler at JB Prince. I found a "medium" and "large" at a different website but I can't be sure they'll be compatible with my tips.

Isn't there some sort of standard for tips? What about the larger ones?

Second, how do sizes like #1, #,2, etc correlate to actual measurments. Like #1 doesn't mean 10mm. Is there a chart I can see?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

For larger tips, don't even bother with the coupler. Just put the tip straight into the bag. The only thing I use a coupler for is smaller tips.

Yeah, I don't recall ever seeing a coupler made for the larger tips, like say, the 124 rose tip. Now that I think about it, it WOULD be nice if there WERE couplers for those tips. I could use them. Maybe they actually do make them.....but I haven't seen them. :unsure:

Second, how do sizes like #1, #,2, etc correlate to actual measurments. Like #1 doesn't mean 10mm. Is there a chart I can see?

I actually don't know the answer to that question. In fact I rarely know the "number" assigned to the tip I may be using. I just look at the tip, and say, "yep, that's about the size I need." :raz:

Edited by chefpeon (log)

They do sell couplers for the large tips, because I have some, but I bought them years ago and can't recall where. If you're near Philadelphia, Fante's might have them in their store, although I couldn't find them on their web site, but you might call them to see if they have them and they would be happy to ship them, I am sure.

But as has been already stated, not many of us use the large couplers - we just put the large tubes into the bags. I do understand, however, that it might be more convenient to use a coupler if you will need to change tubes while piping.

Good luck!

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

As far as any dimension that you can go by as to the size of the tip--no not really like everyone has said. But in general, the smaller the number the smaller the tube within each grouping. Like an 00 is probably the smallest string tube and then 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, each gets bigger goes to 10 or more maybe. Like a 101s is the smallest rose tip and the 102, 103, 104, 124, all get bigger & bigger. So that's true within each grouping of tips.

But then you kinda gotta just know how that all corelates to what you wanna do. Like a 67 is an average leaf*. There's some smaller & some bigger. Then there's whole other ones that are not even in that sequence of numbers too.

Mostly (you gotta go by) memory huh.

*Do not bitch to me about this tube. Just open up the end of it and you will live happily ever and I will have a better chance at it myself I guess.

:biggrin:

I love to pipe stuff. The cake I have this week is smooth and completely blank--I at least get to put a bottom border. :rolleyes: