• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbecuing chicken

JohnnyH

Hi all. Looking for advice from those in the know about the best way to barbecue a chicken (or two) -- whether whole or broken down. Brine? Rub? Sauce/no sauce? Temperature? Time?

I'll be using a Weber kettle, most likely, and cooking with indirect heat over hardwood coals and hickory chunks, since my smoker will be dedicated to ribs and pulled pork on the day in question.

All thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Edited by JohnnyH (log)

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Hi all. Looking for advice from those in the know about the best way to barbecue a chicken (or two) -- whether whole or broken down. Brine? Rub? Sauce/no sauce? Temperature? Time?

I'll be using a Weber kettle, most likely, and cooking with indirect heat over hardwood coals and hickory chunks, since my smoker will be dedicated to ribs and pulled pork on the day in question.

All thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

When I smoke chicken I do like a short time in the brine and I prefer the bird spatchcocked. Depending on the size of the chicken it won't take long. Temperture of the cooker can go between 225 and 325. There is no real benefit to a real long slow cook. The bird does not have all that connective tissue that needs converted as does the pork.

Sauce is always best served on the side. Rubs are a good option for flavor.

There are no doubt better people to answer this than me but the one time I did it I butterflied it. Turned out great.

I seasoned it skin side and meat side, but in retrospect I probably wouldn't do that again. The skin is inedible after smoking.

I smoked it for about 2 hours IIRC.

There are no doubt better people to answer this than me but the one time I did it I butterflied it.  Turned out great.

Also called spatchcocking.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

...The skin is inedible after smoking...

I agree that after smoking in a typical 250 degree smoker the skin is rubbery and not at all fit for service. For this reason, I typically undercook the chicken during the smoking and then grill it to give the skin a fighting chance of being eaten.

...The skin is inedible after smoking...

I agree that after smoking in a typical 250 degree smoker the skin is rubbery and not at all fit for service. For this reason, I typically undercook the chicken during the smoking and then grill it to give the skin a fighting chance of being eaten.

me too... I do a little of everything actually ..butterfly it ...a very short (like 30 min max in brine) .....under cook it with the smoke (indirect heat ...wet chips in foil on the coals) at about 250...then get the heat up (like about 325-350) still use indirect heat ..dip it in sauce and grill turn dip grill turn dip grill until you have the glaze you want...

voila BBQ chicken with nice smoke flavor inside sticky sauce glaze on the outside..

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet