• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Joseph & The Amazing Technicolor Dinner

gfron1

I've been asked to create a menu to pair with a local performance of Joseph and having not seen the play, I don't really know where to start. Any thoughts? What would you serve? (I really, really appreciate the help on this one...I'm lost)

Well, you will definitely want some schmaltz for starters.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

If you're going for camp, the possibilities are endless: the rainbow and dream motifs, all the sibling rivalry, a Pharaoh, a song all about cows and corn (I'm not kidding).... Surely, Rob, you can work miracles with that.

If you are going straight up, then go middle eastern, mainly Egyptian. But where's the fun in that?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

His coat of many colors...could be a little retro but you could always sevre this beauty (made by Rachel Perlow and also by TrishCT):

gallery_7993_2428_738368.jpg

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Is jello Biblical?  Maybe its in the Old Testament.

Most jellos aren't kosher. :wink:

edited for clarity

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Now that Toliver stole my rainbow jello idea....

how about some sacrificial lamb?

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Can't wait to see what you do with it Rob. I'm completely useless in providing ideas, never seen it and know nothing about it beyond the title, but it sounds fun anyway.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Sam, that's too funny!

I've never seen it either so I'm no use, but I think the jello is a brilliant idea. So brilliant, in fact, that I might have to add it to our menu for the barbecue to introduce our French friends to the 4th of July.

I'm rolling at these ideas. Some very useful! Some absolutely not! :laugh:

Ultimately the play staff wants to publish recipes so I need to have things that are re-creatable, but still beyond the norm, but loyal (literally or allusionarily) to the story...which I just barely know. While you all keep throwing ideas out, I guess I should crack open the Bible or Torah or Veggie Tales video. :unsure:

Thanks for the help with this.

Something with goat seems essential. Also, you could surely derive a dish from "Stone the Crows." (Chicken under a brick?)

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

If you want to stay away from "shmaltz" (in the metaphoric and not culinary sense), keep in mind that Joseph dined not on "Jewish food" which was thousands of years away from being devised during his time, but on Egyptian.

Consider the following:

Everybody knows that the ancient Egyptians were superb mathematicians and engineers. This was the land in which geometry was born and where the pyramids were built. Not nearly as many are aware of the enormous contribution to modern dining habits made by these same people.

About 5,000 years ago, Egyptians bakers discovered the secret of leavening. Not too many years later, other cooks, probably in the area of Alexandria, invented the first ovens that were small enough to fit into the average home. The Egyptians also had the wisdom to realize that by combining olive oil, lemon juice and egg yolks you could produce the wonderful condiment known today as "mayonnaise". And, much to the dismay of people who love Marco Polo and all of the myths surrounding his trip to the Orient, it was the Egyptians who invented pasta.

Today's Egyptians are probably the world's leading per-capita consumers of bread; eat more beans than the members of any other national group; and thrive on garlic and coriander, both of which are popular seasonings. The diet of most peasants consists primarily of grains, fruits and vegetables, meat being scarce and expensive. For families that are somewhat better off, Mediterranean and Red Sea fish are popular and fowl is much appreciated.

Although the Jews of Alexandria and Cairo did not make any major impact on the culinary styles of Egypt, they did adapt many dishes to the special requirements of kashrut. The following dinner, a blend of comfortable sophistication and simple but tasty fare, is one I was privileged to share on a recent visit to Alexandria. The dinner, designed for 4, will sit comfortably on the table of either Jew or Muslim.

The Appetizer

Bean Cakes

Ta'amia

250 gr. pea beans, chickpeas or ful beans

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1 Tbsp. minced onion

2 Tbsp. parsley, minced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 egg, beaten lightly

1 Tbsp. flour

olive or corn oil for frying

Soak the beans overnight in cold water. Drain, cover with cold water, add the salt and simmer until the beans are done but still firm (about 45 minutes). Drain, reserving the water.

Mix the beans together with the onion, parsley and garlic and puree through a strainer, adding just enough of the reserved water to prevent sticking. Blend the flour together with the eggs and mix into the beans.

In a heavy skillet heat about 1" (2 1/2 cm) of the oil and into this drop the mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls. Fry, turning occasionally until both sides are golden and crusty. Drain on paper toweling and serve hot. To serve as an appetizer, place on plates, surrounded with tomato slices and onion rings and garnished with lemon wedges. May also be served as a snack or for lunch with tomato slices and shredded lettuce inside a pita bread.

The Soup

Pecan Soup

1 cup pecans, chopped finely

1 cup milk

1/2 cup breadcrumbs

2 Tbsp. flour

2 Tbsp. butter

3 cups chicken or vegetable stock, ideally home-made

1/4 tsp. mace

1/3 cup light cream

1/4 cup finely chopped parsley

salt and pepper to taste

Put the pecans, milk, breadcrumbs and flour in a saucepan and bring just to the point of boiling, stirring constantly. Remove immediately from the flame.

In a large saucepan melt the butter and stir in the milk mixture. Slowly blend in the stock and mace. Bring to a boil and immediately lower the flame and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Stir in the cream, salt and pepper, pour into individual serving bowls and garnish each with parsley. Serve hot.

The Main Course and Vegetable

Sea Bass with Garlic Butter

4 sea bass, about 500 gr. each

1/2 cup butter

2 lemons, quartered

1 lemon, sliced

10 cloves garlic, chopped finely

salt and pepper to taste

oil for frying

Clean the fish and dry well on paper toweling. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

In a heavy skillet heat oil at least 1" (2 ½ cm.) deep and in this fry each fish until nearly done. Remove the fish from the oil and transfer to a baking dish.

In a separate skillet melt the butter over a low flame. Add the garlic cloves and stir continuously until the butter begins to brown. Pour the garlic butter over the fish and on each fish place 2 lemon slices. Cover and put in a hot oven until the fish flakes easily to the touch of a fork (about 6 - 8 minutes). Serve hot with the lemon quarters.

Baked Fennel in White Sauce

For the Sauce:

3 Tbsp. butter

about 2 Tbsp. flour

1 1/2cups milk

l small onion, studded with 3 whole cloves

1/2 small bay leaf

salt and pepper as necessary

For the Fennel:

4 large fennel bulbs

1/4 cup butter, melted

1 tsp. each pepper and dill seed

1/2 tsp. salt

Clean the fennel bulbs, removing the stems, stalks and ferns. Cook in 2 liters of boiling water with the salt, pepper, dill seed and butter until the fennel is tender.

While the fennel is cooking, prepare the sauce. In a saucepan, over a low flame melt the butter. Add and blend in the flour, cooking gently and stirring constantly for 3 - 5 minutes. Continuing to stir, slowly add the milk. Add the onion and bay leaf and continue to cook and stir the sauce (ideally with a whisk) until thick and smooth. Transfer the sauce to a medium oven for 20 minutes. Before using, strain the sauce and correct the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.

Drain the fennel and cut into 1" (2 1/2 cm) pieces. Place these in a casserole and spoon over the butter. Transfer to the oven until the fennel begins to brown, remove from the oven and spoon over the sauce. Serve hot.

The Dessert

Palace Bread

Esh es Seraya

225 gr. honey

125 gr. each sugar and butter

1 1/2 cup fresh white breadcrumbs

whipped cream for serving

In a saucepan heat the honey together with the sugar and butter until the mixture thickens. Add the breadcrumbs and continue cooking, stirring regularly, until the mixture is even throughout. Turn out onto a moistened pie tin and spread so that the mixture is evenly thick throughout. Let cool. To serve, cut into triangular portions and top each with whipped cream.

The pecan is indeed a North America/Central American tree but it is part of the hickory family. It was the hickory that was grown in Egypt but considering that hickory nuts themselves are a bit too bitter for modern tastes, the pecan seems a reasonable substittue.

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel - again, thank you! I made all of the recipes except I had to substitute for the sea bass since we don't get sea bass at our local store. It was all outstanding. The fish and fennel were raved over...and continue to be.

As for the original purpose - the recipe for the play, they only wanted one, so I offered the soup. I credited you in the submission. Thanks.

i have actually directed the show twice. so this was a nice little thread to read.

the recipes sound amazing.

i however was tooooo busy with directing and costumes (that i usually design and make when i do a show) to do something fun like this. maybe the next time!