• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Most Creepy and Disgusting Dive Bar

Wilfrid

Las Rocas on 18th in D.C.

Don't know if it still exists (I doubt it), but it was an infrequent haunt of mine in the late '80s.

It had the requisite baño del infierno, and regular fights, stabbings, etc.

It provided good source material for "scary D.C. stories" to tell people who believed everything they saw on the news.

I had forgotten, well repressed the memory of, a place I used to frequent near the U of Maryland called the Rondezvous Inn, or the 'Vous as everyone called it.  Wearing boots was a must because there was usually an inch of beer on the floor, and one could occasionally see frat guys using the space between pinball machines as a urinal. :blink:

Ah yes, the Vous.

Playboy actually named the Vous one of America's top party bars.

The substance on the floor was known affectionately as Vous Goo.

Thinking back to my university days, I have to add one from my brief and ill-advised stay at Georgia Tech. Conveniently located close to the (formerly) third largest public housing prject in the country, Grumpy's was the place to be on Wednesday nights. They offered a "Bladder Bust" special where it was all you can drink (or steep discount, too many brain cells have died since then) until someone used the facilities. NOTE: I didn't say until someone urinated.

Edited by tootallfortoques (log)