• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Susan Fahning (snowangel) Retires as Host

Pam R

We're sorry to announce that after many years of service, demands in her personal life have left little time for eGullet Society volunteering and have forced Susan Fahning to step down as a host. She's promised that this means we'll see more of her posts in the forums.

Please share your thanks for Susan's work and your food- and drink- related reminiscences here. I'll start.

When I first started volunteering for the Society, Susan was the first person to send me a PM and offer her assistance. Over the last 2+ years we've worked together hosting the Kitchen Forums and working on special projects late into the night. Without her working alongside me, those evenings wouldn't have been nearly as enjoyable.

As many members know she was always happy to help people learn how to work with RecipeGullet and of course, for over a year now she's done a stupendous job as eG Foodblog Czarina.

Susan has worked tirelessly on a number of projects and has contributed so much to the Society. Thank you, Susan. We're all looking forward to seeing you posting in the forums as an emeritus staff member.

Susan put a lot of herself into the eGullet Society, much more than meets the eye, which is considerable in its own right. Her administrative work will be missed. Thanks for all you have done, Susan.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Susan, we're going to sorely miss your dedication and hard work in getting folks to step up and carry their load. You've done an excellent job, which all of us have benefitted from.

However, I hope this will afford you more time for your family, and for posting in your own right! I want to hear more about the old days at the Erawan.

:biggrin:

Peter

does that mean that we will have to wait even longer for the 'weekly' blog...just not good enough......hurry up.....amuse us.....

actually just my stupid sense of humour, I cannot tell you Susan how much I appreciate and will miss your tireless efforts to whip up support for the blog, not to mention postings of your time as a schoolchild in Bangkok with major beneficial ramifications for us eGers esp. on the Thai food thread while at the same time running your complicated household....'if you want a job done ask a busy person' should be your mantra.....I have always imagined you with a chainsaw or powerdrill in one hand and a butcher's knife in the other, cooking Thai food with the third and hacking up a cabin in the woods with your fourth....hmmm..hang on.......

thank you Susan, waiting eagerly for yr posts...

As several have already stated, it's hard for members that don't volunteer to realize just how much Susan has done over the years. Singlehandedly, it seemed, she retitled, merged, and cleaned up literally thousands of topics in the non-regional reorganization; every time you search for a topic you owe her a debt of gratitude. RecipeGullet, the eG Foodblogs, eG Spotlights... the list goes on and on, and only those of us on late at night chatting about all this behind-the-scenes work truly know how dedicated she has been to the Society.

Of course, we all can understand her contributions to eG Forums by reading about butts, larb, and lots more. Her presence in our little Society is immense, and we're all richer for it. Raise your highball of Campari to snowangel, all -- and, Susan, may your glass be ever full.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Thank you so much for all your kindness and hard work ..I look so forward to your future posts and hope we can "hunt and gather" our way all the way through cyberspace!!!

OOOXXX

Heidi

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Thanks so much Susan, your contributions are hugely appreciated!

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Susan, thanks so much for your service, both visible and behind the scenes. Through the fascinating array of people that you have talked into doing foodblogs, I have whiled away many happy hours while learning a great deal about the world. I particularly appreciate your help and encouragement when I was fumbling around with my foodblog.

I hope that eGullet’s loss will be counterbalanced by your having more time to spend with your family, and more time to discuss butts, Thai food, the cabin, and other favorites.

ah, susan, my dear friend, and always hardworking eg'er, it is with great joy and appreciation i bid you farewell as host and hello again to the posting forums. not only myself, but all of eg owe so much to your constant dedication and your love of food, people and adventure you've brought to us all, both in the forums and behind the scenes. i'll miss your special hand as czarina in the delivery of so many special foodblogs.

we first met while cranking out the "cooking for disabilities" course in egci, ummmm.... several years ago. since then we have shared years of meals and life through eg and beyond... and even a very cold, yet thoroughly warming eg soup foodblog together. i personally owe thanks to you, susan, for introducing me to larb and many other thai and se asian favorites. never again will i discard those precious and deliciously potent cilantro roots!

thank you for giving so completely of yourself, for sharing the depths of your energy and experience and keeping us all so well grounded in the realities of food in our too real lives. know that you truly deserve golden kudos :biggrin: and the time and energy to spend with your quickly growing and changing family. looking forward to seeing you post again in the forums. it's cabin time again and thanks to you, those of us who don't have something comparable in our own lives will once again be able to live that pleasure through you.

so, do you get a golden oven timer now? :laugh:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Susan, thanks for all you did, and wishing you & your family well in life.

I hope 'posting more' means we'll hear from The Cabin this year.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

We all know well what Susan did for E-Gullet. Tireless effort that helped keep things moving.

It has been my pleasure to get to become Susan's friend and I must say her greatest contribution to EG is her ability to express her love for her family and her love for her life in such detail for all of us to see. That is why I am thrilled to hear she will be giving up her duties so we may see more of her postings about her life and her dear family.

I know she will send Diana to college with pride, love and nuture dear Heidi and take Peter to the state fair and hope he won't hurl. And laugh and love and smoke pork through it all.

I really cannot express here the admiation I have for Susan Fahning. She is a wonderful person

So many memories -- like your very first avatar! You have contributed to the Society in so many ways for such a long time, while juggling family and personal responsibilities. Enjoy your "retirement," Miss Susan, and enjoy the summer at The Cabin.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Susan, I join in with the others hoping that the cabin saga will continue to be updated, and that freedom from administrative burdens will indeed free up time for other posting as well.

Thank you for all your hard work.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Susan:

As one who understands intimately what a thankless job hosting can be, thank you. I hope you'll still have time to post as I always look forward to your insights.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol