• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shore to Shore

turckie

I will be in Michigan in June on business, but will be taking 3 days afterwards to drive from Empire over to Oscoda via the Shore to Shore route. I am investigating the trail system and the campgrounds along it since I will be bringing my horse next year and riding across the entire state.

Where can a gal get some decent eats along the way?

Also, does anyone have suggestions for overnight accomodations along the way? I have perused Michigan's travel site and nothing is catching my eye.

All suggestions are appreciated. :biggrin:

Melissa

Someday the power of human stupidity will be harnessed and the energy crisis will be over.

I will be in Michigan in June on business, but will be taking 3 days afterwards to drive from Empire over to Oscoda via the Shore to Shore route.  I am investigating the trail system and the campgrounds along it since I will be bringing my horse next year and riding across the entire state.

Also, does anyone have suggestions for overnight accomodations along the way?  I have perused Michigan's travel site and nothing is catching my eye.

Melissa

I can give you some suggestions for Leelanau County and Traverse City (and from there to Petoskey, but that's off your route), but east of that, I'm blank. I do have one recommendation for Cadillac, at the end of the southern spur of the trail. Let me know...

Here's some horse-related info about the trail.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I will be in Michigan in June on business, but will be taking 3 days afterwards to drive from Empire over to Oscoda via the Shore to Shore route.  I am investigating the trail system and the campgrounds along it since I will be bringing my horse next year and riding across the entire state.

Also, does anyone have suggestions for overnight accomodations along the way?  I have perused Michigan's travel site and nothing is catching my eye.

Melissa

I can give you some suggestions for Leelanau County and Traverse City (and from there to Petoskey, but that's off your route), but east of that, I'm blank. I do have one recommendation for Cadillac, at the end of the southern spur of the trail. Let me know...

If you do make it up to Leenlanau, you must visit Mimi at The Grocer's Daughter. She's a wonderful woman making some wonderful chocolates.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I have a hard time thinking about this area with a "must-do" attitude in mind. It is so beautiful. Slow down and breath it in. Stop at a farm stand. Chew on a piece of grass. Take a nap alongside a lake....mmmm must do....

Alex,

I believe I could venture down the southern spur into Cadillac. What is your recommendation? Leelanau County wasn't originally part of my itinerary, but now that two of you have mentioned it, what's a 'must do' there?

Also, thank you for the link to the MTRA's site. I have been there many times and the information they have is extremely useful.

Thanks again,

Melissa

In Cadillac, I'd go to Hermann's European Cafe. Not high-end cooking, but good, reliable food and a decent wine selection. (Buy a bottle at the adjoining wine shop and pay just a $7 corkage fee.)

Just a little ways from Empire is La Bécasse. "French Country Dining," as they say. Very nice.

In Traverse City, I'm a big fan of Amical. Good food, local ingredients when possible, reasonable prices.

Also just outside TC, at the Grand Traverse Resort is Aerie. I haven't eaten there, but eG'er Ted Cizma (although I haven't seen him post for a while now) was the executive chef at startup a year ago (I assume he's still there), so it's probably good.

There are lots of wineries in the area; if you're interested I can recommend a few.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 2 weeks later...

In the Traverse City area, Trattoria Stella is excellent rustic italian, Amical is quite good. Newcomer "The Cooks House" is doing dynamite stuff as well.

Aerie, at the Grand Traverse Resort & Spa is IMHO the best restaurant in NW Michigan ( Sorry Tapawingo )

Have fun, it's a beautiful drive.

TC

wine is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
Ted Cizma

www.cheftedcizma.com