• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Multi-tasking with Italian meringue

CanadianBakin'

I'm only asking because I haven't done it before and I'd like to avoid wasting a bunch of time, eggwhites and butter if it's a bad idea. I have a cupcake job coming up. 1/3 will be covered with Italian Meringue and left, 1/3 Italian Meringue and torched, 1/3 IMBC. Is there any reason I can't just make up a big bowl of IM, take out what I need to use plain and add butter to the remainder? It makes sense to me but I may have overlooked something.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Based on the recipe I'm looking at (Flo Braker), there's not a difference in procedure at all, so go ahead :) The weight ratio according to my calculation is 1.25 butter:1 meringue.

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Based on the recipe I'm looking at (Flo Braker), there's not a difference in procedure at all, so go ahead :) The weight ratio according to my calculation is 1.25 butter:1 meringue.

Thanks Mark! And thanks for doing the math, I hadn't got that far yet.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden