• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

(Not So) Simple, Flavored, & Spiced Syrups

eje

The overpour issue can be extremely problematic, but when done right, the drinks are coming out wonderful. The texture of the drinks seems to change almost as much as the flavors. People have been using balsalmic vinegar in drinks for a while, but doing gastrics (or gastriques - I can't spell) is something I haven't really heard of. I am going to continue experimenting with this concept and will get back to you with some recipes.

Robert Heugel

Anvil Bar & Refuge - Houston, TX

http://www.drinkdogma.com

• 3 months later...

gallery_27569_3448_11107.jpg

What, you ask, is this picture of what appears to be translucent pebbles doing in the Spirits and Cocktails forum?

I was in Arizona over the Thanksgiving holiday and happened to look up into the branches of a Mesquite tree and saw these hardened sap globules perched in breaks in the bark.

As I started collecting them, my family asked, "What cocktail are you going to use that in?"

They know me so well.

Gum Arabic is sap exuded from the bark of Acacia trees in Africa. I knew Mesquites were similar trees in a similar climate; but, I had no idea that Mesquites also produced gum. Imagine my surprise to look up randomly see raw Mesquite Gum in Arizona!

Imagine my further surprise to discover it is already under consideration as a substitute for Gum Arabic. So, yes, I do believe a small batch of syrup fortified with mesquite gum is in my future!

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Doesn't mesquite gum contain tannins?

I don't really detect drying sensations or much tannic overtone.

It is not neutral in taste, however. Not dissimilar to a mild maple syrup with some flavors that remind me a bit of marshmallow.

Definitely formed a thick stable foam when brought to a boil.

Gave some of the foam to my wife to taste as a second opinion and received a solid, "Yum."

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

[...]

Well, I have to admit a bit later I did get some tannic aftertastes. I guess the sugar syrup covered it up initially. Definitely more like the tannins from soaked oak or mesquite chips than grape tannins.

Still the syrup is kind of nice.

I do wonder if unprocessed gum arabic would have similar flavor and character? It seems that bartenders might have gotten less processed acacia gum back then, than we do now. The candy and food industries are just interested in it for its chemical properties, not its flavor.

By the way, they call the Mesquite sap globules "Mesquite Marbles" in Arizona. There are also syrups, candies, and other things made from Mesquite pods and beans. Mesquites are legumes, so the beans and pods of the trees are actually quite nutritious.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

It is not neutral in taste, however.  Not dissimilar to a mild maple syrup with some flavors that remind me a bit of marshmallow.

Speaking of which, how about maple syrup as a substitute for simple syrup in certain applications? I just made a (rye) Old Fashioned with it, tastes very American.

[...]

Well, I have to admit a bit later I did get some tannic aftertastes. I guess the sugar syrup covered it up initially. Definitely more like the tannins from soaked oak or mesquite chips than grape tannins.

Still the syrup is kind of nice.

By the way, they call the Mesquite sap globules "Mesquite Marbles" in Arizona. There are also syrups, candies, and other things made from Mesquite pods and beans. Mesquites are legumes, so the beans and pods of the trees are actually quite nutritious.

This might be for another thread, but Mesquite trees, I'm continually finding, are incredibly versatile. I used mesquite flour in a chocolate chip cookie recipe a few weeks ago, and they were awesome.

Mesquite Flour:

http://www.celiac.com/catalog/product_info...products_id=754

Mesquite Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2007...colate_chi.html

OK, OK, back to (not so) simple syrups...

Speaking of which, how about maple syrup as a substitute for simple syrup in certain applications? I just made a (rye) Old Fashioned with it, tastes very American.

San Francisco journalist (and eGullet member) Camper English had an article about local bars using Maple Syrup a while ago:

Smells like 'tini syrup

For the past few years, cocktail consultant Jacques Bezuidenhout has been sneaking maple syrup into the drinks he invents for the Starlight Room and special events, and perhaps it's finally caught on, because now we see it on several menus about town.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

San Francisco journalist (and eGullet member) Camper English had an article about local bars using Maple Syrup a while ago:

Smells like 'tini syrup

For the past few years, cocktail consultant Jacques Bezuidenhout has been sneaking maple syrup into the drinks he invents for the Starlight Room and special events, and perhaps it's finally caught on, because now we see it on several menus about town.

i used maple syrup liqueur (because i had three free bottles) with dry sherry and apple brandy 1:1:1 plus a dash or so of bitters...

and in a sour with new england rum, maple liqueur, lemon juice 2:1:1 plus a spoonful of overproof lemon heart.

all very drinkable and fitting of the season...

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

I've picked up some Mesquite Bean syrup to experiment with. Will report back on that in the near future.

However, the current report is regarding using the Mesquite Gum Syrup in a Sazerac.

The usual, 2 oz Sazerac Straight Rye, Dashes Peychaud, barspoon Mesquite Gum Syrup, Absinthe wash, and lemon twist.

Unfortunately, I don't know that I have anything particular to report, other than this seemed to be one of the better Sazeracs I've made for myself. It did seem to taste a bit different than usual, but I would be hard pressed to say if it was the Mesquite Gum or just that I had made a few Sazeracs last week for friends and was in practice.

In any case, it certainly did no harm to the drink.

A side by side comparison with plain syrup and Mesquite Gum syrup is needed!

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 3 weeks later...

I recently picked up a bottle of pure cane syrup. Tasting it side by side with the basic simple syrup in my frig, the simple syrup tastes so boring. It's sweet, but not much else.

My first question is how to dilute the cane syrup for drinks. I'm thinking that the 1:1 ration of water to sugar typically used for simple syrup would create something too watery. I'm assuming that whatever works for the cane syrup could also be used to create a honey syrup or a molasses syrup. Jeff Berry told me that honey syrups were often used in tiki drinks.

I also saw that Robert Hess makes his simple syrup with demerara sugar. Has anyone tried it? Does the demerara contribute enough flavor to justify the cost.

Any other suggestions for interesting substitutes for standard simply syrup?

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Demerara is worth the price of admission, no doubt about it. Personally, I make it 1:1, as I'm an amateur, and I've found that many (not all) books work off of 1:1. 2:1 (which is believe is equivalent to dry sugar, measure for measure) is just too sweet for me, and I think, too easy to go overboard with.

Marty McCabe

Boston, MA

Acme Cocktail Company

Yes honey and Demerrara both work wonderfully, but it is usually a 2 parts sweet to 1 part water.  With the cane syrup leave it alone just use less of it than you would simple.

This cane syrup is pretty thick stuff, though. Thicker than maple syrup or even honey. More like molasses in consistency. I'm mainly concerned about it mixing well (I'll try it tonight to see). I picked it up at a Middle Eastern grocery store.

I use the Trader Joe's Raw Demerara sugar in the big bags for my "dark" simple syrup. It's a stand in for the real cane syrup which I don't always have around and works particularly well in rum drinks. I make it just slightly sweeter than 1:1, maybe 1.25:1 or so and it works great and mixes completely.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

There's a couple asian subsitutes as well. Palm sugar, rock sugar and a dark brown sugar bar comes to mind. The last one in particular adds a molasses note to the simple syrup. I usually simmer it with ginger and use it on some soft tofu for a simple dessert.

There's a couple asian subsitutes as well.  Palm sugar, rock sugar and a dark brown sugar bar comes to mind.  The last one in particular adds a molasses note to the simple syrup.  I usually simmer it with ginger and use it on some soft tofu for a simple dessert.

i use agave nectar for diabetics... it dissolves really fast in alcohol...

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

There's a couple asian subsitutes as well.  Palm sugar, rock sugar and a dark brown sugar bar comes to mind.  The last one in particular adds a molasses note to the simple syrup.  I usually simmer it with ginger and use it on some soft tofu for a simple dessert.

i use agave nectar for diabetics... it dissolves really fast in alcohol...

Love what that does with Scotch.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Or tequila, to keep it in the family!

My own perspective on this is different syrups for different purposes. I'd never use cane syrup in a Ramos or an Intro to Aperol, for instance. Likewise, I like demerara syrup with dark spirits, but regular old white-sugar syrup (although I use fancy organic refined cane sugar stuff) for most gin-based cocktails. I'd love to stock more flavored syrups, but just don't have the room for anything except grapefruit (which I use in a *lot* of drinks) right now.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

• 4 months later...

I've been playing around with alternatives to simple syrups recently. Pure cane sugar syrup, honey syrup, etc.

While my plain simple syrup (1:1 water and sugar) sits happily on the shelf, my honey syrup (3:1 honey to water) went moldy after a few weeks. Why is that? My honey doesn't get moldy?

I can add vodka to make it stable, right? Buy how much?

While my plain simple syrup (1:1 water and sugar) sits happily on the shelf, my honey syrup (3:1 honey to water) went moldy after a few weeks. Why is that? My honey doesn't get moldy?

It has to do with the ratio of sugar to water in the solution: very sugary solutions are inhospitable environments for mold/bacteria to grow, in general. I suspect your 3:1 honey syrup simply doesn't have enough sugar in it, whereas pure honey does. I typically make honey syrup 2:1, and store it in the fridge, though to be honest I never tried leaving it out on the shelf.

I also add vodka for shelf-stability to things like grenadine, but I don't know how much is actually required, and it probably depends on how much sugar there is (more sugar needs less vodka, I would guess).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I generally make all my syrups in 1.5-2 cup batches. To each I've added an ounce of 100 proof vodka (or you can use Wright & Nephew Overproof rum) with no problems with stability. I do store every thing in the fridge, though. But I've had some raspberry syrup that I made at least 6 months ago and there is no mold/bacteria/etc.

Cheers!

Marshall

Edited by TMFIII (log)

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them. -Winston Churchill

Co-Author: The Scofflaw's Den

I add grain alcohol to most of my syrups (typically made 2:1) except to my honey syrup (made 1:1) and it's been in the fridge for at least a year with no deterioration or foreign growth. Make sure to rinse the conatiners out well with hot water before filling and bring the syrups briefly to a boil to kill whatever might be in already.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman