• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

(Not So) Simple, Flavored, & Spiced Syrups

eje

I am not aiming for accuracy. My rationale is that I don't think that I would be able to detect the influence of a 5% or even 10% difference in composition of the simple syrup on the final cocktail. I am interested in seeing what others have to say though.

• 2 weeks later...

Cassia v. Canella in cinnamon syrup?

I'd been meaning to put up some cinnamon syrup to get ready for tikki weather (naturally, we hit a cold snap right afterwards), and decided to use canella instead of regular (to U.S. folks, at least) cassia cinnamon. Since canella is popular in Mexico, I used piloncillo cones instead of regular sugar. The syrup came out a bit light due to the ratios employed, but it worked surprisingly well with a blanco tequila and a little Benedictine and lemon: not the most obvious combo for tequila. It should be great with rum as well, which I plan to test tonight.

Anyone else used/using canella?

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

Canela (Ceylon) is what Don the Beachcomber used in his syrups, and thus appropriate for many Tiki drinks. It is softer and warmer than Cassia and plays well with other spices. As Mexicans know well, it also plays very well with chocolate. Your post makes me want to try it with tequila. More on Cassia vs. Ceylon and Tiki drinks here.

I prefer canela generally, but I'm biased, as Canela is my dog's name.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Cassia v. Canella in cinnamon syrup?

I'd been meaning to put up some cinnamon syrup to get ready for tikki weather (naturally, we hit a cold snap right afterwards), and decided to use canella instead of regular (to U.S. folks, at least) cassia cinnamon. Since canella is popular in Mexico, I used piloncillo cones instead of regular sugar. The syrup came out a bit light due to the ratios employed, but it worked surprisingly well with a blanco tequila and a little Benedictine and lemon: not the most obvious combo for tequila. It should be great with rum as well, which I plan to test tonight.

Anyone else used/using canella?

I've been using the cinnamon syrup from BG Reynolds which I just found out is a blend of cassia and Ceylon cinnamon.

I'd like to say you inspired me with the last few posts on this thread, as I just made some cinnamon syrup, but really I just wanted to kick into Tiki time with all cylinders firing :biggrin:

Used 2:1 by volume plain old Domino white sugar and filtered water, 3 long sticks of Ceylon cinnamon smashed to tiny bits, boiled for a few minutes, and approaching the end of 2 hours steeping. It's bloody delicious. First up, either a Jet Pilot, or 1934 Zombie.

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Both great choices. A (somewhat unorthodox) Jet Pilot at Brooklyn's Huckleberry Bar was my first Tiki cocktail and I fell in love. The Donga Punch is another great Beachcomber drink that has the comparative advantage of being easier to make.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Made the 34 Zombie. F Me (or as I said to my friend, "fuckity fucklington"), this may be the strongest yet most beguiling and inviting drink I've ever had. I can see why Don had a two-per-customer limit, because two would be my limit in one sitting, AND it was a pain in the ass to make!

But so, so so worth it.

Edited by Hassouni (log)

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Found some extremely nice and very cheap Jaggery Sugar at a local asian market I frequent. As I was nearly out of the turbinado syrup I had been using I decided on this for my latest dark sugar syrup. 

The Jaggery is pretty easy to works with, and only takes a little longer to dissolve than more refined sugars. I made a 2:1 syrup as I normally do, and the result is a viscous, almost caramel-like, slightly funky syrup. 

I tried it in a Rye Old Fashioned first, where it worked well, but it really shined when I tried it in and OF with some White Dog, where the rough edges of each harmonize very nicely.

Be sure to store it in the fridge. A while back I made syrup with panela (basically the same thing), and left it out for literally no more than 3 days and it got quite moldy by then. It was pretty close to 2:1, too...

Be sure to store it in the fridge. A while back I made syrup with panela (basically the same thing), and left it out for literally no more than 3 days and it got quite moldy by then. It was pretty close to 2:1, too...

That was my plan, but I will be sure to keep a close eye on it. Thanks for the warning.