• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Halvah Mousse recipe wanted

beacheschef

Does anyone have a good Halvah mouse recipe?

Right now I'm adding crumbled halvah to a Swiss Meringue, folding it into a pate a bomb and lightening with whipped cream. I also use a small amount of gelatin, since the mousse is in between layers of pistachio cake.

I'm "winging it" with this recipe and it's not great.

Can anyone help? Thanks

Beaches Pastry

May your celebrations be sweet!

Beaches Pastry Blog

I don't have a recipe, but I wonder if you could work out something with spreadable halvah rather than crumbled. I'm thinking it might work the same way chocolate does in a mousse.

I don't have a recipe, but I wonder if you could work out something with spreadable halvah rather than crumbled.  I'm thinking it might work the same way chocolate does in a mousse.

Pam: Thanks for the quick response. This is the first time I'm using halvah as an ingredient. It's pretty "crumbly", not spreadable, and I don't want lumps of halvah in the mousse.

I was wondering if I am supposed to dissolve it in a heated liquid...?

I'm heading back to my Arabic market later today to buy more and to try again.

Beaches Pastry

May your celebrations be sweet!

Beaches Pastry Blog

I wouldn't dissolve the regular stuff. Ask them if they have a spreadable version. I've used Achva, Elite and Gefen. I can't find any of them online, but click here for Puriva halvah spread. That's just an example and more Googling came up with more examples.

Or, another option would be the halvah threads (sometimes called hairy or airy -- I think that's due to translation issues). It breaks into long, thin threads of halvah that might be nice in a mousse.

2 eggs

2 Tbl sugar

1/2 tsp gelatin

100g Halvah

50g white choc

250 ml cream

whip cream to a light foam. whip eggs and sugar. melt cho andt hen mix with crumbled halvah. mix till smooth. Warm up gelatin with some water in micro till melted. Add the halvah mixture and gelatin to the eggs by folding. Fold this into cream. Put in fridge for 5-6 hours and then decorate with chocolate sauce.

100g halvah

100 g almonds

6 egg yolks

100g sugar

500ml cream

toast almonds till golden. cool and then grind in food processor.

add chalvah to food proc and grind till it is all homogeneous and then move to a bowl

Whip eggs with 50g of sugar and carefully fold into halvah mixture

Whip cream with remaining sugar and carefully fold into halvah mixture

Put into serving size bowls and freeze for 1 hour

Put in fridge for half an hour

serve

If you want more choices let me know!

Edited by Lior (log)

Try starting the recipe using tahina(Sesame seed pulp(Halva just seems to be this and sugar)), do see some interesting things happening but I suspect you need to tackle it using this.

It has a very high oil content so not exactly sure how but I guess you need to take this into consideration.

Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!