• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Full Irish Breakfast with black or white pudding

Hi there,

I've been thinking it would be fun to make a full on Irish breakfast. In particular black and white pudding.

also

fried egg

fried tomato

rasher bacon

Black pudding

white pudding

beans

Am I missing anything?

I found this site that sells all sorts of puddings/bacon etc. But I really want to make the pudding myself.

http://www.foodireland.com/Merchant2/merch..._Code=breakfast

Would love to hear about any breakfasts you had that you liked, recipes and in particular seasonings that you could taste that you thought put the breakfast or pudding over the top. I had a black pudding recently that had a distinct allspice flavor that was great.

Also, anyone know how they prepare the tomatoes? I'm assuming just fried in a pan with a little butter.

Thanks

Grace

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

Oh aye, it's not a full cooked brekkie without bangers..

When I make fried tomatoes, I generally blanch them quickly to pull the skins off, than halve them, put them in the oven, let them warm through and have most of the water evaporate. I like to sprinkle the tops with panko parmesan bread crumbs and then turn the broiler on to get a little brown on the bread crumbs. Probably parmesan panko won't work with your theme, but hey, brown bread and cheddar would work! :biggrin:

Can't help you with the puddings, sorry, but it sounds like fun!

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Oh aye, it's not a full cooked brekkie without bangers..

When I make fried tomatoes, I generally blanch them quickly to pull the skins off, than halve them, put them in the oven, let them warm through and have most of the water evaporate. I like to sprinkle the tops with panko parmesan bread crumbs and then turn the broiler on to get a little brown on the bread crumbs. Probably parmesan panko won't work with your theme, but hey, brown bread and cheddar would work!  :biggrin:

Can't help you with the puddings, sorry, but it sounds like fun!

So thats baked and grilled tomatoes not fried?

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

So thats baked and grilled tomatoes not fried?

Well, I guess. :biggrin: My Irish and British (shhh! I'm not supposed to acknowledge their unfortunate heritage :cool: ) relatives never complained, but good point...if she really wants to be traditional ignore everything I just said.

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Pax

I like the oven idea for the tomatoes to dry and concentrate the flavors. I may do that and then fry.

Simon_S

Bangers of course! <smacking forehead>

Adam Balic

I'm in Brooklyn, so getting blood should be simple.

Thanks! Still hoping someone on the board has made this kind of brekkie.

Grace

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

I would go to the UK board. The Full Irish is pretty much the same as the full English and the Full Scottish (with minor variations).

It is quite possible that some of the Brits have made a cooked breakfast. In fact I've made cooked breakfast like this, in Ireland, Scotland and England.

The best British style black pudding I have had comes from Stornowayin Scotland. It has an open texture and it's sweetness (from onions I guess) goes well with things like Scallops.

Another interesting black pudding I had was flavoured with pennyroyal.

...........and where`s the tatties ?

Cold boiled potato sliced and fried in the bacon/sausage fat or try another Celtic slant and try a tattie scone MMmmmmmm calories with a capital C

OOoooops almost forgot, soda bread and tea you can stand a spoon up in.

:biggrin:

Edited by Henry dV (log)

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.