• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Ze'tmana"

This has stumped me for years, and I hope you fine folks will be able to help me with this question as well.

My grandparents and many others in the West Bank village from which my parents hail enjoy tea infused with an herb called "ze'tmana." I've only seen the dried version, but from what I can tell, it's got small leaves (somewhere between oregano and thyme) and is slightly fuzzy. The aroma and flavor are close to that of mint, but stronger (like, "clear your sinuses" strong). I actually don't drink it myself, because it tends to give me a headache, but others in my family love it, and I'd like to try to buy or grow some locally.

Again, TIA for your help!

• 9 months later...
This has stumped me for years, and I hope you fine folks will be able to help me with this question as well.

My grandparents and many others in the West Bank village from which my parents hail enjoy tea infused with an herb called "ze'tmana." I've only seen the dried version, but from what I can tell, it's got small leaves (somewhere between oregano and thyme) and is slightly fuzzy. The aroma and flavor are close to that of mint, but stronger (like, "clear your sinuses" strong). I actually don't drink it myself, because it tends to give me a headache, but others in my family love it, and I'd like to try to buy or grow some locally.

Again, TIA for your help!

I think what you are looking for is Gray calamint (Calamintha incana), I have a nice book by Nisim Krispil -spices from the holy land, with the names written in all three languages. hope this didn't come too late!

Cheers, Sarah

http://sarahmelamed.com/

• 2 months later...