• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for an Earl Grey recommendation

Lee Gomes

I am planning on baking a French-style cake that uses Earl Grey tea as a major flavor component. The cake is a typical French entrement, with two layers of light chocolate cake brushed with an Earl Grey-syrup mixture, a layer comprised of an Earl Grey tea mousse, and finally two regular chocolate mousse layers that have no tea at all. I am looking for an Earl Grey that is bright, with a lot of the orange flavors that make it Earl Grey in the first place. Any suggestions on a brand to use? The cake, btw, is from Pierre Herme, the famous Paris pastry chef.

Q Tea Botantical here is Vancouver does a great Imperial Earl Grey. I know they ship to some hotels and restaurants in California and I have used it in dessert and wine pairings.

Q Tea Botantical

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Here's another vote for SBonner's recommendation! Their Imperial Earl Grey is my all-time favourite - much more bergamot-y and none of that weird sweet orange flavour that other Earl Grey teas have. You can order online.

There are two typical types of Earl Grey. One is flavored with bergamot, which is a fragrant citrus fruit, and the other is flavored with lavender. Bergamot is more common. Combined with chocolate, the bergamot flavor can be yummy. Dark chocolate infused with tea flavor isn't uncommon, and often it's Earl Grey. The Belgian Neuhaus brand makes a delicious one, and I've had others. Sounds like it would make a very nice layer in a chocolate cake.

I really like an Earl Grey that has double the bergamot than usual is my favorite with chocolate. Stash makes a good Double Bergamot Earl Grey that's pretty widely available.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

• 4 months later...