• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Layover in Amsterdam

I have a 6 hour layover in Amsterdam - is it possible to leave the airport via taxi or train and have a nice meal in the city and be back in time for my flight? I get in around 730 am and leave around 130 pm. I am also open to just walking around a getting a snack. If it is possible - Where should I go?

Thanks.

I have a 6 hour layover in Amsterdam - is it possible to leave the airport via taxi or train and have a nice meal in the city and be back in time for my flight? I get in around 730 am and leave around 130 pm.  I am also open to just walking around a getting a snack.  If it is possible - Where should I go?

Thanks.

johnjohn,

sorry I did not see this before, hope it's not too late.

you can take the train from the airport which will bring you to Amsterdam Central Station in 15-20 minutes (depending on the train). The area immediately around Central Station is not very appealing (mostly fastfood and souvenirshops) but a 10 minute walk to the southeast will take you the Zeedijk, which is our "Chinatown" and has lots of Asian places which are nice for a snack, if you keep walking you'll end op on Nieuwmarkt which is a beautiful square with lots of bars with outdoor seating - on a sunny day, a great place to have coffee and do some people watching. West of Nieuwmarkt is the redlight district, which can be a bit depressing in the gray morninglight :wink:

OR from Central Station head northwest to Haarlemmerstraat (which turns into Haarlemmerdijk), one of the nicest 'foodie'streets in the city. There's a good bakery (bread and pastries) (Vlaamsch Broodhuys, Haarlemmerstraat 108), excellent chocolate (Umlimited Delicious, Haarlemmerstraat 122), a terrific Spanish deli with great sandwiches (Hollandaluz, Haarlemmerstraat 71) another great deli (Caulils, Haarlemmerstraat 115) and lots lots more.

have fun!

Edited by Chufi (log)

Another option, which I prefer, is to take the train in the other direction and make for Leiden. It's about the same distance, but the town is an easier walk, and there's no shortage of pleasant cafes and restaurants along the canals with which to take your time between flights.

(I do caution, though, that I've only been there in the care of friends living there, so I can't vouch for any particular restaurant...)

I did the same (Leiden) in a similar situation , but only because I am already fairly familiar with Amsterdam and wanted to see a town I thought would be (and was) rewarding.

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria