• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Locatelli revisited

• 4 years later...
Has anyone been to Locanda Locatelli lately?

Yep - one excellent Sunday lunch and one very average dinner

so bit of a mixed bag -

the Sunday lunch was excellent both food and service and they weren't very busy

Sat dinner both the quality of the food and the service really suffered - was packed

so I guess I'd suggest if you're going for lunch or maybe a weekday dinner then go for it - busy times avoid

• 7 months later...
Has anyone been to Locanda Locatelli lately?

Both an update to this thread and a tardy addition to this forum from a meal had this past June. I took the advice/interest of a well traveled diner (unfortunately he hadn't tried Locanda Locatelli, but his interest got me hooked) and tried to get a reservation (the one month to the date policy worked against me as I called from a couple different lines, one being on hold for a while at 5am in the morning... only to find out it was a public holiday for those in London from the "reservation cancellation line." Hmphr!).

My impressions:

Sleek, darken, spacious but crowded dining room is filled with friendly, attentive and knowledgeable staff that give ample attention to each table and provide smooth service. The dining room is friendly to the after work crowd or friends gathering over a bottle of wine who wish to dig into some hearty food. Some may find it intimate enough of a setting to bring a date, although both parties would have to pardon the boisterous nature of the rest of the room (it is indeed dim, but I would find it difficult to call it romantic). Food wise, Locanda Locatelli transports me back to the glorious week I had spent in Italy (back in 2007), where I wined and mainly dined happily on simply prepared top notch ingredients. Portions were ample at Locanda Locatelli, a good thing to note as the meal itself was not inexpensive. Presentation was simple, nothing lavish nor grandiose, making it easy to dig into the dish without the guilty feeling that usually comes with defacing a kitchen artist's palette. Overall, the experience was decent, albeit above average, and would have probably ranked higher in my memories had I not had a notable number of outstanding meals (in food, service or a combination of both) that outshone this fine establishment.

And of course there are pictures (more images and descriptions can be found in this photoset. Apologies for the grainy photographs - the low light wasn't too friendly to my point & shoot):

2660381684_07e9fce0dc.jpg

A dream come true for *this* bread lover.

2660386556_5b0859249e.jpg

Insalata di piedino di vitello, mostarda di Cremona

Of course, we've got to have truffles (unfortunately the truffles were only present in name only):

2659561833_fa80605666.jpg

Gnocchi di patate, robiolina di capra e tartufo nero

Of the three mains, the roasted Dover sole was enough to feed a family (Sogliola arrosto, Macedonia di vegetali):

2670712941_50dd3880d3.jpg

And even if the presentation was lacking in many of the courses, it was made up for in the desserts.

2671537100_feb7b4fa5d.jpg

Mousse di tè verge, pan di spagna al pistachio, mela verde e sorbetto di prosecco

2671542736_9748c966b8.jpg

Degustazione di cioccolato “Amedei”

2670723291_5e986c2bc4.jpg

Selezione di gelati e sorbetti

Overall we really enjoyed the food without having the 'stunning' dishes such as you might get at The Capital etc, then again it is a totally different style of food. I suspect we will end up going here again and again, as it is one of the few good Italian restaurants in London and one of the even fewer open on a Saturday lunchtime.

Paul

as a half-Italian, my comments should not be taken lightly!...the above comment is a bit harsh, ther are several good Italian restaurants in London.

from what i hear locatelli has gone down quite a bit in the past year...

Overall we really enjoyed the food without having the 'stunning' dishes such as you might get at The Capital etc, then again it is a totally different style of food. I suspect we will end up going here again and again, as it is one of the few good Italian restaurants in London and one of the even fewer open on a Saturday lunchtime.

Paul

as a half-Italian, my comments should not be taken lightly!...the above comment is a bit harsh, ther are several good Italian restaurants in London.

but maybe there wasn't when paul wrote the comment over 6 years ago!

you don't win friends with salad

Paul

but maybe there wasn't when paul wrote the comment over 6 years ago!

quite right you are...

• 3 months later...

London was a bit of a late choice as a dining option this last weekend.

In fact Friday had already arrived.

I had toyed with the idea of going to L'Enclume and on to Rogan & Co.

Another option was La Becasse.

The thing that swung it was a decent hotel rate on Laterooms.

I always wanted to go to LL,since seeing George and Tony Allen strutting their stuff on TV,some years ago now.

Well as you may gather,from the above,I was feeling indecisive all week,and had not booked a table yet.

At half past eleven Sunday morning the table was booked for a one thirty slot.

I somehow knew I would'n't have a problem.

The room was more than three quarters empty!

I put this part down to the state of the economy,the rest down to the grasping pricing,giving no concession to lunchtime dining.

We were seated in the first booth in the restaurant proper, which initially I found acceptable,as it afforded me a fairly full view of the room.

This was a big mistake,as not far away,in fact about three meters,proved to be a meeting point for the front of house staff.

At different times during the meal I counted up to seven staff,babbling on,in native tongue about their various going ons.

This was made of course all the more worse because the place was empty.

So bad was it that two groups of two,who followed us in,asked to be moved.

By this time we were part way through the meal,and I did not want to move,even though it was becoming more annoying.

The food!

Well I expected good.

No, I expected very good.

Did it arrive?

Did it hell.

Michelin star?

Expect to lose it this year!

Guaranteed!

"George is not in the kitchen anymore"

Well he bloody well needs to be matey.

We started with Oxtail ravioli (for me) Pan fried Scallops,celeriac puree,saffron vinaigrette (madam)

The ravioli was,well,OK nothing special

The Scallops were again,arguably OK,however we both thought the "vinaigrette" clashed with the principal ingredient.

Now bear in mind we are talking £15 and £17 respectively for starters,(including service charge).

I want better than just OK.

I want fireworks!

Veal cutlet,crushed potato,braised(globe) artichoke.(me)

Breast Guinea Fowl,black truffle,glazed carrots,liver crostino.

The cutlet was on the small side,but tasty none the less.The crushed potatoes,well crushed potatoes.The artichoke was bitter and stringy.

The sauce had no real depth of flavour and did not lift the dish.

Even with more seasoning the fowl had little flavour.

The rest of it was not at all memorable.

What was memorable was the cost.

£33 for the veal,and £30 plus for the fowl is taking the mick

We skipped pud,we had had enough.

The bill, Well £115,for the above and the cheapest bottle on the list £18(plus the dreaded.)

Did I not enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Would I return?

Only if George were to E-mail me and invite me back as his paid for guest.

And only if he was doing the cooking!

Thats it, question answered.

No chance!

BTW on the two hour plus journey home,My wife solved the seating problem out.

It took about five minutes on the back of a napkin.

Oh, if life were so simple!

Edited by david goodfellow (log)

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Pretty much mirrored my experience David. And I think we had the same table. And I wasnt a fan of being so wedged into it, so close to the next diners, that it had to be pulled into the middle of the room to allow us to get out for a pee.

John Hartley

Pretty much mirrored my experience David. And I think we had the same table. And I wasnt a fan of being so wedged into it, so close to the next diners, that it had to be pulled into the middle of the room to allow us to get out for a pee.

We were very fortunate?

The place was quiet so we had the booth to ourselves,but still had the wedged in effect.

Heaven forbid what its like when six diners are eating!

These seating plans look great to architects and interior designers,but in practice do not work.

It certainly does not bode well for any conversation,everything can be heard by the adjoining table.

Even the close proximity of the waiting staff,stifled ours.

Not enjoyable whatsoever.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1