• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zurich lunch spot to avoid airplane food.

Our family has a 5 hour layover so we are taking the train from the airport to the city. Is there a great place for a nice late/morning early afternoon lunch within walking distance from the train station? We have two children. A budget friendly place will be perfect. We also seek a recommendation for a place to buy food for the trip back home to the states -anything to avoid airline food. Any rec will be most appreciated. Thank you.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

• 2 weeks later...

I think Bierhalle Kropf just might fit the bill. It is a 10 - 15 minute walk from the main station, it is as budget-friendly as Zürich gets (i.e. not really, but what can you do?), and I like it. I hasten to add that I haven't been there for a couple of years, but I think it's the kind of place that doesn't change very much!

A bit of information (the restaurant does not seem to have a website of its own - not necessarily a bad thing): http://www.frommers.com/destinations/zurich/D36069.html

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria

I dont know how many other airports are doing this now but we just had a pair of layovers at Heathrow...and

you can not leave the airport if you have checked baggage.

To leave you must go through customs with your bags and then go through security when you come back. All of which could take a few hours.

Made my day to spend 6 hours in a filthy Terminal 5

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association