• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is Bols No. 8?

scratchline

I'm in Dusseldorf, Germany for a few more days and came across an unfamiliar bottle of Bols Recept No. 8. The shop owner has little English and I have less German so he was unable to tell me more than it is a bottle suited to the German palate. He couldn't identify the flavor for me. My internet searches have come up dry. Just wondering if this stuff might have some cocktail applications? I've already secured some of the Oude Genever but if anyone knows anything about the Bols No 8 I'd be grateful if they could pass it on. Thanks.

This intrigued me so much that I called the Bols company here in Amsterdam:Bols

They´ve never heard of it!

Are you sure it´s Bols the brand? Any more info on the bottle, color of the stuff?

I´d say, buy the bottle, taste it, an don´t forget to take a picture for us.. you might have something very special there :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here's some more info. The bottle is from Lucas Bols but from the Neuss branch so it's made in Germany. It's 32% alcohol and crystal clear. Some kind of flavorless schnapps, maybe. German vodka more or less? The copy on the back reads:

Aus edlem Wein entstand in einem sorgfaltigen Brennverfahren eine aussergewohnliche Geschmackskomposition. Sie verspricht einen Genuss besonderer Art, der gekennzeichnet ist durch harmonische Milde und Reinheit.

Any German speakers care to enlighten us?

Pics below. We'll post more soon of our other European finds.

gallery_16941_6030_181187.jpg

gallery_16941_6030_199885.jpg

Okay, here's some more info.  The bottle is from Lucas Bols but from the Neuss branch so it's made in Germany.  It's 32% alcohol and crystal clear.  Some kind of flavorless schnapps, maybe.  German vodka more or less?  The copy on the back reads:

Aus edlem Wein entstand in einem sorgfaltigen Brennverfahren eine aussergewohnliche Geschmackskomposition.  Sie verspricht einen Genuss besonderer Art, der gekennzeichnet ist durch harmonische Milde und Reinheit.

[...]

What's the rest of the word starting with "Spiritu...". My college German is pretty rusty, but to me the "Feine Spirituosen... aus Wein" seems to indicate it's an unaged brandy or grape Eau-de-Vie of some sort.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

My German's pretty rusty, too, so the best I can do is this:

An exceptional flavour profile carefully distilled from noble wine. It promises to be a special pleasure characterized by harmonious mildness and purity.

So, yeah, sounds like some kind of unaged brandy to me!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

My German's pretty rusty, too, so the best I can do is this:
An exceptional flavour profile carefully distilled from noble wine. It promises to be a special pleasure characterized by harmonious mildness and purity.

So, yeah, sounds like some kind of unaged brandy to me!

Being German I can confirm your theories. Unaged grape brandy is what it says on the bottle...but I haven't seen this stuff anywhere in Germany before.

Does it say 'Korn' anywhere on the bottle?