• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to live in Paris for 3-6 months?

Vinotas

Hello all,

I know Paris pretty well, and love visiting, whether it's for business or pleasure (usually both!).

My wife and I have been chatting for the past few years about moving to Paris and we've decided to take an interim step: we would like to rent an apartment for 4-6 months, starting in January 2009. Our preferred areas are around Place des Ternes and in the Latin Quarter. While the 7th is pretty it's far too quiet for our tastes, and the Marais is a bit too lively (God, I've gotten old).

So, while I know where to eat & shop well in most of the city, I ask you, my fellow gourmand gourmets, where should we live? And does anyone know of any good places or people to find a one-bedroom that isn't a hole in the wall for a small monthly fortune? Something close to good street markets would be preferrable, of course...

My sincere thanks in advance,

Cheers! :cool:

Edited by Vinotas (log)

Well, when I bought (1990) prices in my part of the 18th were a bargain and I'm on a market street (Poteau & Duhesme) and I love it. I think it's the perfect blend of markets, price, nearby running opportunities and neighborhoodly, non-touristy feeling.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Your question could receive many different responses as we have many different preferences.

For me, it would be easy..the 7th..why: it definitely has a village atmosphere. It has more bibb gourmand and top restaurants than the 4th, 5th 6th combined. It is very convenient by both bus and metro to wherever you want to go.

You may only become more confused, as we give reasons for many different areas.

Wherever you decide, you can easily travel any place in Paris without a lot of trouble.

Enjoy your looking and decision making..that is half the fun!!

Joan

Hi John, Grace3,

Thanks for your advice. I agree, I am ready to receive lots of opinions, but that's why I've come asking. As I said, I prefer the 5th, 6th, 8th, and 17th (especially near Poncelet), but am willing to try some other neighborhoods. On my last trip I rented a lovely flat across the street from the Montparnasse tower, and though the Boulevard was so-so we loved the apartment and the little side streets.

I've stayed in the 7th and I find it too quiet, reminiscent of parts of NY's far Upper East Side, where things can get a bit staid.

That said, if someone offers me a 3-bedroom rooftop apartment with a terrace for 500 Euros a month in the 7th I won't turn it down. Hint... hint... :wink:

I started in the 7eme, on rue du Varenne (next to Hotel Matignon) and would agree with your assessment. However, I then moved to the corner of Bld St Germain and rue du Bac and thought it was perfect. Good local shops, close to Bon Marche (not as expensive for a daily shop as you imagine especially if you don't get to tempted), and close to lots of good restaurants and bars. Then of course there is the area of the 7eme around rue St Dominique - another flavour again.

In between I had an apartment in rue St Honore (near Hotel Costes) and found this to be quite dull - except for Marche St Honore, Le Rubis and some of the food shops in rue du Marche St Honore that is.

I think it is hard to generalise about areas, all my friends loved the areas they had chosen, for surprisingly similar reasons - shops, restaurants etc. Everybody's area had the best cheese shop, the best market etc. A good rule of thumb though is to assess how close you are to ten good restaurants. Every area will have one or two, so ten should be a reasonable test, ruling out areas like the 17eme, or the depths of the 16eme.

I suspect cost will be your main driver, it was very expensive to live in the 7eme and you would get far better value in an area like the top of the 9eme off rue des Martyrs could be good (near Spring).

Edited by PhilD (log)

I was thinking the Bourdonnais, St. Dominique area. Yes, the 7th can be more expensive.

The 9th, St. Martyrs..near Spring...can be a more reasonable rental area. Several good outfits with some places that rent only by the month and also discount for stays of a month..probably even better for the longer period of time. The area is well thought of.

You will have fun looking...enjoy......

And don't forget the practical considerations of living abroad for extended periods - everything from health insurance coverage to taxes (most health insurance policies and Medicare will not cover your health care costs abroad). Depending on your personal situation - it may well make more sense to rent than buy. We had a friend who stayed at the George V for 2 months a year for over 20 years. Depending on what buying costs today - that may still be a cheaper alternative! Robyn

I'd say live anywhere in Paris except in the 16e, 7e (except the Saint-Dominique area), and 17e West of the railroad tracks/Batignolles gap. Anywhere else is fine.

Personally I've always found the 15e boring but it might be fun to rent an apartment on the Front de Seine.

Grace3,

My wife wasn't crazy of the area around Spring when we ate there for lunch in February. I, however, like that kind of atmosphere (reminds me of the old East Village).

Robyn,

I am self-employed and my wife would be working freelance, but we're in our mid-thirties and in pretty good health, so for a short stay of 3-6 months health insurance would (hopefully) not be a big issue. But yes, we've thought of that as well.

And with the Euro where it is buying is out of the question, sad to say. Sheesh, when I think I wanted to buy a place when the Euro first appeared and was around 0.78... Sigh...

PtiPois,

Agreed, we find the 15th a bit boring except up near the 7th.

Can anyone recommend any good short-term rental agencies? And, of course, any place we decide on would have to be close to good street markets (as I previously said, we love the Rue Poncelet one), have a surfeit of excellent bakeries and cheesemongers (especially those two), and, oh yes, some fruit or vegetable stands.

Then again, who wants to eat healthily when in Paris? :wink:

Merci! :cool:

Edited by Vinotas (log)

Host's note: So as to get this back on a food theme, I'm going to suggest we all send Vinotas our purely housing related advice via PM and keep this topic focused on where to live near food (restos and markets). And I shall do do myself immediately. Thanks. John

Edited by JT to correct keeo to keep.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

ONe of the best areas of paris for restaurants,open air markets,fromageries,pick nicks is -------------.You'll be 10 min walking distance to L'astrance,au bon acceuil,

L'ami jean.Le clos des gourmets,Le violon d'ingres etc ,etc.I am sure many of you have guessed it.Your best source for all this is www.vrbo.com.Good luck

Thanks all, I am sorry if we strayed too far from food (sacre bleu! I am not sure how I allowed that to happen!), but food will be a prime focus (especially as I'm in the wine business).

I've used VRBO before and will take to heart the other suggestions people emailed me.

You guys are fantastique! Keep the recommendations coming!