• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

unusual kitchen gadgets

maher

I did slightly better but only because once I missed the first few, I needed to realign my thoughts to what the Victorians ate. A lavish love for PG Wodehouse helped me out here quite a bit and I ended up getting 14 of 20.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

10/10, but I have actually seen a few of those pieces when browsing in antique stores with my mom and grandma. Utensils today certainly do multitask.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

That was a funny test. All the easy ones were at the end (I think because the questions included better hints).

By the 13th question I'd only gotten one right, which makes me about a third as smart as a monkey guessing randomly. Then I got the right answer on all the rest of them. Which overall is a little better than the random monkey, but not much.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

I missed only one - however, I have the advantage of having been raised in a household of true Victorians and inherited a set of flatware that includes almost all of the items pictured and I still have the set of "infant's silver" with which I was taught table manners. I think it was originally my grandfather's and he was born in 1875.

Although "normal" family dinners never displayed all the various odd implements designed for specific purposes, I recall a few formal dinners (no children were included) where the array of silver on the table was somewhat alarming. I was a very curious child and asked many questions and was never satisfied with "because" as an answer so usually was given at least some explanation of why a piece was necessary.

The Victorians of a certain status loved all the extra silver pieces that showed their social status. However, they did not have to do the washing up. After WWI, when it became more and more difficult to get competent help, there was a considerable lessening of the number of pieces "required" for serving a formal dinner.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I missed only one - however, I have the advantage of having been raised in a household of true Victorians and inherited a set of flatware that includes almost all of the items pictured and I still have the set of "infant's silver" with which I was taught table manners.  I think it was originally my grandfather's and he was born in 1875. 

Although "normal" family dinners never displayed all the various odd implements designed for specific purposes, I recall a few formal dinners (no children were included) where the array of silver on the table was somewhat alarming.  I was a very curious child and asked many questions and was never satisfied with "because" as an answer so usually was given at least some explanation of why a piece was necessary. 

The Victorians of a certain status loved all the extra silver pieces that showed their social status.  However, they did not have to do the washing up.  After WWI, when it became more and more difficult to get competent help, there was a considerable lessening of the number of pieces "required" for serving a formal dinner.

Well put, andiesenji.

I, on the other hand, am a first-gen American. So I got 11 out of 20, with most being educated guesses.

All those ice cream implements! :shock:

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

14 out of what I think was 20

That baby food spoon and pusher blew me away

That was the only one I actually knew with certainty. I had one of those when I was little (and I miss it!)

15/20. (I own a Georgian sterling set, and no kiddie to use it!)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Got 9 out of 20. Thought I was doing great at the beginning but had a whole lot of wrong answers after the first 5. Often my second choice was the correct....but guessing only!

Donna

That was fun! 15/20.

Now I need to schedule a visit with the therapist, though, to talk about why it's so important that I score well, and then why I need to post my score for the world to see. :rolleyes:

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

13 out of 20. My son Billy was beside me and was amazed how I would get the correct answer. I told him I was guessing most of the times. LOL

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

13 of 20. I certainly wasn't raised in a household that used silver of any kind. I wish! I've always loved how beautiful the different pieces are. Who knew that a slice of tomato, spear of asparagus or scoop of vanilla ice-cream could warrant the use of such sparkly, amazingly detailed forks and spoons? :wub: Perhaps if children were served their vegetables with these lovely utensils they'd like them more!

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks