• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SAF-london

gethin

Has any other london based e-gulleteer ventured into SAF (152 Curtain Rd) at all ? As its a organic, vegan,uncooked food restaurant,I'm guessing possibly not !

It does however have a fairly serious cocktail bar with some bottles (particularly gin), you are unlikely to see elsewhere in London.

It has for instance , Aviation gin,DH Krahn gin and Bombay Original as well as an organic gin apparently made in Clapham! They also use Maraska maraschino, which I've not seen elsewhere.

Having fortified myself for the forthecoming vegan ordeal with a few stiffeners at Hawksmoor,which is only five minutes walk away,I wasn't able to explore the SAF cocktail menu as much as it deserved,but I did have an Aviation aviation(which i thought had an odd creamy sort of taste), and a Shoe Shine (Old Tom gin,Via sweet vermouth,Noilly Ambre, Cynar,BT orange flower water and Regan's #6) which worked extremely well.

Its certainly worth a visit if you are in need of a cocktail in the Old St area or as a prelude to another drink and a steak at Hawksmoor (or, if like me, you wanted to take some one following the Gerson regime out for a meal while not suffering too dreadfully yourself).

Gethin