• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Acecook Company super cup 20th Anniv. Ramen

shinju

I just finished having acecook's spicy chige ramen スパイシーチゲラーメン and was impressed with the taste especially how the dried silken tofu turned out. I wasn't sure how dried tofu was going to come out and so I added very qood quality silken tofu to the ramen as well except my pieces were bigger. Well, surprise, the dried silken tofu turned out very good. Exactly the right texture. :wub:

Have you seen any dried silken tofu being sold in Japan lately? I wish they would carry something like this in the US - less costly to ship and shelf stable.

I went to the acecook's web site but they no longer carry the spicy chige ramen - I will have to go and see about buying 10-20 packages to stock from the local Japanese market nearby.

http://www.acecook.co.jp/brand/super.html

This is what the package looks like - sorry can't show the actual ramen (already devoured).

gallery_16106_722_33977.jpg

Edited by shinju (log)

Have you seen any dried silken tofu being sold in Japan lately?

No, I haven't. I have never searched for such tofu in the first place, though. I guess freeze-dried silken tofu is mostly used in instant miso soup.

Yep, I've also had dried tofu in instant miso, but it wasn't good generally. This one is very good with 1/2 inch cubes and the texture is right on. Wish someone will market this for outside of Japan. Even in Japan, you would think that having something that is shelf stable without refrigeration is a big plus.

OK, I found this freeze-dried tofu for you.

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/asuzacfoods/574693/829597/

30 g for 315 yen, which turns into 200 g tofu when reconstituted.

I can get a 300 g pack of silken tofu for 28 to 58 yen here.

Wow, this very cheap for 300 g silken tofu. Is this locally made near you?

Thanks for this info Hiroyuki. So they do have freeze dried tofu for sale in Japan. I would love to see these sold in the US too. Maybe someone from Japan can sell these on ebay or amazon for US shipping. I would buy 10-20 right away.

Thanks for this info Hiroyuki. So they do have freeze dried tofu for sale in Japan. I would love to see these sold in the US too. Maybe someone from Japan can sell these on ebay or amazon for US shipping. I would buy 10-20 right away.

Of course, it is locally made. Fresh tofu can't be shipped long distance.

You would? :shock:

Well, in the US, I do not think tofu is locally made. There is one nearby that is locally made - San Jose Tofu. They make momendoufu, but not silken. I can easily make momendoufu, no problem, but still not happy with the silken.

Absolutely, I would buy in bulk if available to cut down on shipping cost. I have purchased tea on ebay from a fellow in Japan and had good results.

In the US, most tofu is at least made in the same region it's sold, except for the mori-nu tetra-pak version. It's really only slightly more than one day of trucking between Seattle and Northern California, though, and not more than 5 days trucking cross-country; it's probably about 3 or 4 days for Japan. In climate controlled trucks, even halfway-across-the-country is tolerable if the distribution is efficient.

However, packaged tofu really only has an optimal lifespan of about 2 or 3 weeks.

The labeling on US-made tofu often has slightly more optimistic sell-by dates than I consider acceptable, though. I've seen packages dated for 2+ months out in the future, which, except for that Mori-nu stuff, is just wrong.

I like traditionally freeze-dried tofu like koya-doufu, but I have access to good enough tofu in the Seattle area that I don't think I'd go out of my way to get silken freeze-dried tofu unless I decided to take up camping.

Well, in the US, I do not think tofu is locally made. There is one nearby that is locally made - San Jose Tofu. They make momendoufu, but not silken. I can easily make momendoufu, no problem, but still not happy with the silken.

Absolutely, I would buy in bulk if available to cut down on shipping cost. I have purchased tea on ebay from a fellow in Japan and had good results.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Absolutely, I would buy in bulk if available to cut down on shipping cost.  I have purchased tea on ebay from a fellow in Japan and had good results.

I'd buy it and send it to you if you wanted. I'd have to find it, though, and that might be a problem! Or you (or I) could order it from the site and have it shipped to my place, then I could ship it to you. You wouldn't even have to order as much, since it could probably be shipped "Small Packet" if the volume isn't too great (weight for small packets is up to 1 or 2 kgs, I think, but there's a size limitation, too).

Absolutely, I would buy in bulk if available to cut down on shipping cost.  I have purchased tea on ebay from a fellow in Japan and had good results.

I'd buy it and send it to you if you wanted. I'd have to find it, though, and that might be a problem! Or you (or I) could order it from the site and have it shipped to my place, then I could ship it to you. You wouldn't even have to order as much, since it could probably be shipped "Small Packet" if the volume isn't too great (weight for small packets is up to 1 or 2 kgs, I think, but there's a size limitation, too).

Ahh, you are such a sweetheart, Rona. :smile::smile: Thank you very much for offering. I know you are a very busy woman and I would not feel right having you go through the trouble of ordering for me. I will be in Japan in September/October again and I'll look for it then.