• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pad Se-Ew (thai wide noodles in black soy)

Pad Se-Ew is probably my favorite thai dish EVER, and I've made it several times, and it's NEVER as good as when I have it at our local thai joint (which won't tell me how they do it...). When I make it, it's always a little too salty, never sauced enough, not as deep in flavor, and lacks that great toasted quality of the restaurant version.

Any of you have any tips or tricks or favorite recipes?

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

The toasted quality is from getting the wok really really hot. Not something a typical household burner can do. I think alton brown in his show (good eats) on Phad Thai, put the wok on top of a charcoal chimney that was red hot.

The toasted quality is from getting the wok really really hot.  Not something a typical household burner can do.  I think alton brown in his show (good eats) on Phad Thai, put the wok on top of a charcoal chimney that was red hot.

Contrary to some egulleters, I would have to agree. It's all about the wok hei and making the wok as hot as you can.

The key is also getting good Thai dark sweet soy sauce, the main flavoring ingredient. You can buy it at your local asian grocery stores or buy it here

http://importfood.com/sakh2102.html

I thought that my dark soy brand might not be the best...it always tasted a little harsh...

Do you have any brand recommendations?

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child