• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making chestnut-flavored pasta

doctortim

I'm planning on making a dish that will include chestnut-flavored fresh tagliatelle, but I'm unsure of the best way to make my tagliatelle taste of chestnuts. Being autumn here I can easily get both fresh chestnuts and fresh (i.e., not rancid) chestnut flour.

My ideas were to make a purée from the fresh chestnuts and mix this into my regular pasta dough, or, to make a pasta dough substituting some chestnut flour for plain flour.

Which would be the best way to get that chestnut flavor into my pasta, such that it still comes through after it has been cooked?

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

My friend and I have an annual chestnut dinner ... and this year I'm doing pasta with a chestnut theme. I was planning on making ravioli filled with chestnuts, pumpkin and some sort of cheese ... hadn't thought of making the actual pasta with chestnuts!!! Do let us know if you try it - I'm now thinking the chestnut flour might be a good way to go!

My friend and I have an annual chestnut dinner ... and this year I'm doing pasta with a chestnut theme.  I was planning on making ravioli filled with chestnuts, pumpkin and some sort of cheese ... hadn't thought of making the actual pasta with chestnuts!!!  Do let us know if you try it - I'm now thinking the chestnut flour might be a good way to go!

Your dinner sounds great -- I love chestnuts!

Having done some shopping I've found that this year it's extraordinarily difficult to get chestnut flour here in SA, unlike last year where it seemed like every shop had some. The only source I can find in Australia is Cheznuts. They have products in stores in Melbourne, so that might be ideal for you.

I was able to get some fresh chestnuts, so I'll try making a puree from them and dehydrating it a little to concentrate the flavour. I'll keep you posted.

My copy of Malena de Blasi's 1000 days in Tuscany is with a friend, but I am sure she has a recipe. Anybody have the book handy to lend advice?

Chestnut flour works quite well in pasta dough, just be aware that the dough will be much much firmer than it would be if it were made with 00 flour. I wouldn't use puree since that would reduce the amount of egg you could use.

If you have an Asian market you can usually find chestnut flour and/or dried chestnuts there for a very reasonable price

Looking forward to your results report!

"Having done some shopping I've found that this year it's extraordinarily difficult to get chestnut flour here in SA, unlike last year where it seemed like every shop had some. The only source I can find in Australia is Cheznuts. They have products in stores in Melbourne, so that might be ideal for you.

I was able to get some fresh chestnuts, so I'll try making a puree from them and dehydrating it a little to concentrate the flavour. I'll keep you posted."

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Looking forward to your results report!

So I made a puree, blended that into my pasta dough, and unfortunately I couldn't really get a noticeable chestnut flavour to come through. It's there if you know to look for it (wishful tasting?), but for me it's not enough to justify the added effort.

I'd be keen to try chestnut flour, which I've read has quite a prominent flavour. Hopefully a trip to the asian markets this Friday will bring me some.