• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Delaware Cafe

Congrats Joe! We all knew you were going places, and I'm sure this is just the begining. Enjoy this success and keep striving for the next one!

"As far as cuisine is concerned one must read everything, see everything, hear everything, try everything, observe everything, in order to retain, in the end, just a little bit!"

F. Point

• 1 month later...
Congrats Joe!  We all knew you were going places, and I'm sure this is just the begining.  Enjoy this success and keep striving for the next one!

Turns out Howard's choice of words ("going places") was prophetic. As some of you already know, and finally announced officially in today's Star, young Joe West is going west - to Las Vegas, specifically.

Very sad for the KC diner, but I know we'll be hearing more about him for years to come.

Best of luck, Chef West. You will be missed.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Congrats Joe!  We all knew you were going places, and I'm sure this is just the begining.  Enjoy this success and keep striving for the next one!

Turns out Howard's choice of words ("going places") was prophetic. As some of you already know, and finally announced officially in today's Star, young Joe West is going west - to Las Vegas, specifically.

Very sad for the KC diner, but I know we'll be hearing more about him for years to come.

Best of luck, JWest! I hope moosnsqrl is right. Please do come back and share your experiences abroad with KC.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

"As far as cuisine is concerned one must read everything, see everything, hear everything, try everything, observe everything, in order to retain, in the end, just a little bit!"

F. Point

Yeah, make sure that what you learn in Vegas doesn't necessarily stay in Vegas. Come back and share your experiences with Kansas City!

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Good luck Joe.... Not that you need it.

Howard's right. Leaving town is what has made all of us strong.

I'm not going to have anyone to give half drunken bad advice @ 1am anymore. :sad:

Edited by ChefCAG (log)

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

Good luck Joe.... Not that you need it.

Howard's right. Leaving town is what has made all of us strong.

I'm not going to have anyone to give half drunken bad advice @ 1am anymore.  :sad:

Maybe I will start a new thread of young chefs who I WISH would leave town :laugh:

I don't mind 'em going but there should be a limit. Colby learned everything in a couple of years - surely anyone can! :wink:

Joe, send Doolittle back and we'll call it square.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, Joe! Say it ain't so!

Actually, I'm thrilled for you, but couldn't resist the timely phrase. I know you are going to have a fabulous adventure, and that I'll someday be seated at one of your tables again.

Can you tell us more about where/when you're going and what you'll be doing there? (Like you have nothing else to do but read eG!)

Maybe we can get you to start blogging again, so we can keep track of you. Pretty please?

Come visit my virtual kitchen.

• 3 weeks later...

I really do appreciate all the comments and Chris Eis is a talented chef, his food is something to try out when you have a chance.

As for me.. I've moved to Las Vegas and will be starting my new job at Alex of the Wynn. Starting at the very bottom, which is exactly what I want.

I don't officially start until late December and I came back to Kansas City for the holidays. I'll be working in a couple of kitchens in town as well as doing private parties, something that I haven't had much time to do in the recent past.

I most likely won't be blogging but I'm always on facebook if you ever want to friend me.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

• 1 month later...
The Star reports Delaware Cafe has closed.

My boss tried to have lunch there today. Sign said "close for the holidays" but no re-opening date posted. Sigh.

M.F.K. Fisher