• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Bacon

Really Nice!

Very nice. I JUST remembered I have a chunk of pork loin, cured for Canadian bacon, air-drying in the fridge. Oh, well, it'll get an extra half-day's drying time, as I'm not about to start smoking it at almost 8 p.m. CDT.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, Captain said:

Over a year gone bye on this thread....  Ok wakey wakey.

This is my first ever attempt at bacon. I'm very happy.

IMG_20160907_073014.jpg

IMG_20160907_073033.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Well I'm impressed. Please tell us how it tastes.

If you need a second opinion I live in postcode 4214, but can travel to kickatincanalong wherever that is !

• Like 4

Thanks. Yes I got lucky with the cut. After I got the belly home and had a closer look I knew what I wanted to do.  Home is 4213 @sartoric :D

I cured it quite simply with brown sugar, a little salt and black pepper.  Smoked it using Banksia cones.  I love the taste. Lightly salty, sweet smokey flavour.

Thanks again.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished our annual bacon making session although my pancetta is still in the garage for another few days.

There is the set up with the slicer and a couple of pics of meat.  We did half a belly as a simple recipe with sage, black pepper and a little garlic; another half was cured with maple syrup and the last half was done with honey.  We used hickory smoke and a Bradley smoker for about 6 hours to get the internal temp to 155F.  Really nice smoke flavour.

DSC01761.jpgDSC01759.jpgDSC01760.jpg

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Just finished our annual bacon making session although my pancetta is still in the garage for another few days.

There is the set up with the slicer and a couple of pics of meat.  We did half a belly as a simple recipe with sage, black pepper and a little garlic; another half was cured with maple syrup and the last half was done with honey.  We used hickory smoke and a Bradley smoker for about 6 hours to get the internal temp to 155F.  Really nice smoke flavour.

DSC01761.jpg

That looks beautiful! Is that slicer reliable? I am used to restaurant grade machinery and so I am curious what to buy for home use?

"Sense Of Urgency" -Thomas Keller

86ed Chef's Advice

It is a Chefs Choice slicer that I have had for about 17 years!  We still have the original blade and it seems sharp enough but perhaps time for a new one.  We only use it a couple of times a year and now we are lending it out a couple of times a year.  It has served us well.  Easy to use BUT when slicing the bottom part of the meat doesn't get sliced all the way so I do two slices then flip the meat and do two more which eliminates the flap of uncut meat...if that makes sense.  It is quite compact.  I put it in a pillow case to keep the dust off and store it on a shelf.  I will take some pictures for you tomorrow.

• Like 3

I don't have much to add except that in my former career I used to sell equipment to the bacon slicing industry.

Makes me hungry to think of it.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Mine is 'Okanagancook' controlled!xD

Yeah, but you're not trying to make a living selling optronics.  Think something like this:

http://www.provisur.com/formax-slicing/products

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 1 year later...

Finally everything fell into place enough that I was able to join in and try making my own bacon! Thank you for all your posts over the years -- definitely don't think I would have done this otherwise. Hot smoked on my Kamado Joe with apple wood chunks and used the Simple Bacon Recipe from amazingribs.com. Will definitely do this again -- planning to use hickory wood chunks for the next trial.

smoking away with temperature probes in each porkbelly chunk

bacon-hot-smoking-kamado-joe.jpg.ed89fe97bcb7f84ff572ff0798b4f27c.jpg

piece one & two post smoking -- next time I'll keep the piece as big as possible to fit the fridge & smoker

pretty sure that I did not need to cut this belly in half - lesson learned!

2125396967_porkbelly1and2-post-smoke.jpg.6fee6b06d328a9aa06ecdcfe4bea6181.jpg

all sliced up and ready to package up for the fridge and freezer

1271850213_porkbelly1and2-sliced.jpg.72d64923da0c2a4659e65156abc5e980.jpg

quality control sample  🙂

bacon-cooked.jpg.051d87251e17dd75716fa317834b9931.jpg

Edited by curls
fixed typo (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Why does raw cured bacon have a longer shelf life in the fridge then cured cooked bacon? I always bake a pound and freeze for quick reheat in the microwave but the slices can be a pain to separate when frozen. I was suprised to read the fridge shelf life was 4-5 days? That seems odd to me.

10 hours ago, FeChef said:

Why does raw cured bacon have a longer shelf life in the fridge then cured cooked bacon? I always bake a pound and freeze for quick reheat in the microwave but the slices can be a pain to separate when frozen. I was suprised to read the fridge shelf life was 4-5 days? That seems odd to me.

I use parchment paper to separate the slices when freezing.  I lay the pieces out on the paper with about an inch between them, then roll/fold the paper.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

20 hours ago, FeChef said:

Who or what says so?  Invariably, bacon is fully cooked during the smoking process, or else it isn't bacon.  Cooked bacon will last a very long time in the fridge.  

20 minutes ago, Baron d'Apcher said:

Who or what says so?  Invariably, bacon is fully cooked during the smoking process, or else it isn't bacon.  Cooked bacon will last a very long time in the fridge.  

But what about the stuff you buy in the supermarket? That's uncooked and smoked, no?