• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Randolph

Nathan

It opened about a year ago...with mediocre drinks and a semi-preppy crowd. Wasn't a bad bar by any means though.

Now it's been revamped with some industry vets behind the cocktails. Went last night (opening night) with a couple of the usual suspects.

Decor has more of an M&H feel now....at least upstairs. Serious commitment to ingredients. Sasha was in the house and making some of our drinks.

This place seems real and should be an excellent option to M&H. They do seem to be taking a bit of a velvet rope approach.

Cocktails were comped.

I was there as well. I love the place! Matty Gee (former of M&H) is behind the concept, and he has created a wonderful space with a lot of warmth to it. I think Matty's vision is to have a nice place to go, where the cocktail menu is simple, yet perfectly executed---but without any sort of pretension. I've known Matty for a number of years now, and not only is he a great bartender and a true gentleman, but also a bit of a romantic. There is a large, blow-up of an old photograph hanging on the wall in the middle of the room, circa 1940/50's--it's of a couple very much in love, both looking out the back seat of a car---it turns out to be Matty's grandparents on their wedding day. Matty's family has been in the flower business, and he is personally responsible for the the beautiful arrangements that grace the bartop. There is a piano in the corner, and I believe that music will be played on monday nite-- but you'd have to confirm that. Music is old-school, lots of uplifing clarinet. And then at closing time, we heard Billy Ocean being piped in. It was great.

Downstairs is a cool, little room with a corner bar, and Matty said that they will be breaking through the wall in approx a month to increase the space.

It was very late when I got there, so I two-fisted. I had a deliciously-bright ginger cocktail, as well as a strawberry-cucumber gin fizz- which had such perfect balance that it made me take a step back. There was a grace to its simplicity, and an alchemic perfection in the combination. But the cool aspect was that the drink menu was friendly and approachable. It was not extensive, but I am sure that it will develop over time. And frankly, I'd rather see 1 perfectly executed cocktail than 6 mediocre ones. Matty told me that it would be the direction for the warmer, summer months to come, and that we would see brown cocktails come into play in the fall, along with freshly squeezed apple juice, etc. The spirits selection was thoughtful, well-rounded, and also very accessible.

I don't think Matty's intention is to take a hard-core stand as a geeky cocktail haven. He certainly could if he wanted to, I've drank at his bar on many occasions, and his drinks are perfection. I think that moreso, he is really looking to create an environment where first and foremost you are having fun. It had -such- a great vibe, and I can't wait to go back.

Audrey