• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prana Restaurant & Lounge

Susan

Tried this new restaurant the other night with friends. It is where Taste used to be in a strip mall on Belleville Ave. The food is a mix of different influences from Asian to Middle Eastern to Italian. We ate upstairs in these curtained booths. Too bad we were all women because it could be kind of romantic up there. We started with some kind of chips (sorry, don't know the name) that kind of had an oil and some salt on them. They came with 3 different kinds of dipping sauces. Loved those chips. Could have eaten a whole basket of them myself. The appetizers we had were scallop foie which is exactly what it says - scallops with pieces of foie gras on top, crab cake which was one of the largest crab cakes I've seen and coconut poached prawns. All of the appetizers were delicious. For dinner we had pan seared salmon, shrimp kebabs and I had the tapioca crusted snapper. It came with a sesame vinegarette on the side that had sliced almonds in it. What a tasty sauce. The piece of fish was so large that I couldn't finish it although I really wanted to so I took it home for my husband. We shared the chai tea custard which was similar to a creme brulee. It came with a couple of coconut macaroons on the sie. We all loved everything we had. I liked this place so much that I went back with my husband last night for happy hour where you can get half price drinks and appetizers from 5-8:00. We had a few of the same things I had the other night but also tried the slider trio which is on the bar menu. I think the 3 sliders were chicken, lamb and beef. For dessert we had coconut cheesecake. I think it may have been a special. Again everything was delicious and the bill was really cheap considering all we had to eat and drink. A band was setting up when were getting ready to leave. I think they have bands on Thursdays and other music on Friday and Saturdays. Everyone who works there was very nice from the bartender to the chefs to the owner. In talking with the chef, we found out that he has worked in several of Michael Mina's restaurants. He is really very talented and I wish them a lot of luck. Looking forward to getting back there real soon.

Susan