• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Cheap Eats

Ah, yes - Friday buffet at SCCC. The meal that can last all weekend. :wink: Some good stuff this time as Blue Heron and Seawakin outlined. I was especially suprised at how good the duck was considering it was served from a steam table. Moist and tender.

By the way, here are the new menus for the next couple of weeks - looks like some tough choices here:

One World Menu

February 11-13 and February 18-20, 2003

Appetizers

Soupe a l’Oignons Gratinee - $1.95

French onion soup with golden brown gruyere topping

Soupe du Jour - $1.75

Please ask server for today’s selection.

Salad Paysanne, Vinaigrette a a Moutarde - $1.95

Duck confit, mesclun salad, and apples dressed with mustard vinaigrette.

Entrees

includes your choice of soup or salad

Salade d’Escalope de Saumon Chaud - $5.50

Seared salmon served over fresh greens, with vinaigrette dressing

Canard Confit, Haricot Vert et Poire Pocher au Vin - $6.25

Duck confit with French green beans and wine poached pears.

Filet de Poulet Sautee, a l'Estragon - $5.95

Sautéed supreme of chicken served with tarragon sauce.

Boeuf Grille, Sauce Béarnaise - $6.50

Grilled top sirloin steak served with béarnaise sauce.

Cuisse de Grenouille a la meuniere - $6.50

Sautéed frog leg with brown butter sauce.

Oie Roti, Sauce Bigarade - $6.95

Roast goose with sweet and sour demiglace sauce.

Poissons aux Olives et Herbes de Provence - $6.95

Papillote of halibut and squid with olives and herbs de provence.

Square One Menu

February 11, 12, and 13, 2003

All entrees served with your choice of hot and spicy shrimp soup, Galangal coconut chicken soup or green salad with Thai dressing.

Paw Pia Tod (Vegetable Spring Rolls with Plum Sauce)

Filled with bean sprouts, bean threads, shredded carrots, cilantro, and garlic. Served with plum sauce and jasmine rice - $5.50

Grilled Pork Skewers

Pork tenderloin marinated with roasted peanuts, coconut milk and scallions. Served with jasmine rice - $6.00

Pad Thai (Thai Noodles)

Made with rice noodles, chicken, scallions, bean sprouts, roasted peanuts, ground red chiles, and cilantro - $5.75

Goong Gratiem (Garlic Prawns)

Prawns sautéed with fragrant garlic, cilantro, and white pepper. Finished with a light broth and served over red leaf lettuce with jasmine rice - $6.25

Halibut in Green Coconut Curry

Halibut and pea pods simmered in a spicy coconut green curry broth with fresh basil and Serrano chiles. Served with jasmine rice. - $5.00

DESSERTS

Fried Banana in spring wrapper with vanilla ice cream - $1.50

Sweet Black Rice served with warm coconut milk - $1.50

Mamster, if you can make it on Friday, you'll most likely get to taste both during the buffet session. :smile:

It seems that they use mostly the leftover dishes from throughout the previous week.

Hope to see you there.

Edited by seawakim (log)

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

At our last meeting for the buffet lunch we had casually mentioned doing it again this week.

Since Valentine's Day falls on this Friday I'm wondering if this plan will still work out for people.

What do you guys think? Should we still meet for buffet lunch?

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

I was planning to go on Friday.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I will try to make it on Friday;  I would have to skip class, but not the part I teach, so I can probably get away with it.

I'm sure you're Mom would be happy to write a note for you:

"Dear UW administrators,

Please excuse my little mamster from class today as he has been diagnosed as a "foodie" and must receive treatment for his condition at lunch today. He is really a very sick boy, but the on-line group therapy sessions have been helpful and we're hoping he can soon walk past a 'Subway' sandwich shop without yelling 'You fools! Don't you know you can get real food at Bahn Mi 88 - and cheaper, too!'.

Regards,

heyjude"

Yeah, I was planning to get there at noon or a bit before.

KR

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Great to see everyone yet again for lunch today. :smile:

The Classic French menu at One World continues through next week, but here is a new menu for Square One that runs February 18th - 27th:

Grilled Lamb and Brie Sandwich

Sweet Red Pepper Jelly - $5.25

Turkey Breast Piccata

Capers, Parsley and Fresh Lemon - $5.50

Nicoise Salad

Seared Ahi, Seasonal Greens and Vegetables Tossed with a Light Vinaigrette - $5.75

Roasted Butternut Squash Gnocchi

Duck Confit and Swiss Chard - $5.50

Grilled Monkfish in Lemon-Vanilla Bean Beurre Blanc

Mashed Yukon Golds and Arugula Pistou - $5.95

Buttermilk Fried Chicken

Fennel, Olive, and Orange Salad - $5.25

The restaurant Tropics, reviewed in the Times today, sounds like a place for the cheap eats list.

Ooh, sounds good - especially the cinnamon duck for $4.95. And how can you pass up a dish that's "finger-leaking good!!", or one that's stewed in "special incidents". Thanks for the tip. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
nightscotsman, do you know what the current menus are?  And does anyone want to join me for lunch tomorrow?

Good luck!! This is the week that the graduating student chefs each run the kitchen for a day. I tried to get reservations last week for tomorrow and they were already booked.....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946