• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Cheap Eats

I ended up with the Chicken Marsala, which was cooked perfectly and had some nice chunks of pancetta in the sauce. The parsley mashed potatoes were dull (but I'm not really a mash fan), but the steamed brussels sprouts were great. The service was great--I thought our waitress had the earnest demeanor of the beginner but handled our orders like a pro (except for not knowing they were out of scallops, but that wasn't her fault).

That hot and sour was absolutely the best I've ever had. Scratch-made stock; high quality shrimp; the right balance of salty, sour, and hot; and a good mix of vegetables.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I feel kind of guilty that I was the one who ended up with the last remaining order of scallops in the house (thanks guys :blush: ). However, I have to say, they were not very extraordinary. They tasted on the bland side, although the carrot-lemon meyer sauce was interesting and helped them a bit. And the wild rice which accompanied them was, well, kind of crispy (as in deep fried crispy, as nightscotsman remarked after having a taste). The rice was topped with paper thin long slices of zucchini, which were ok. The presentation of the dish was beautiful, however.

I loved the hot & sour soup, which was loaded with so many mushrooms, shrimp and other goodies. I'm inspired now to learn how to make this (both from the excellent soup today as well as the recent thread on hot and sour soup w/eatingwitheddie's recipe).

I also loved the desserts. My favorite was the molten chocolate cake, oozing with liquid rich chocolate in the center, and served with blood orange sauce.

I thought service was excellent, and our waitress was tip top. Lots of refills on water, too. Only thing lacking in service I noticed was I was not offered a second cup of coffee with my dessert, but it was late and I'm sure they were trying to get us out of there by that point.

I'd like to try their other dining room sometime, too, as well as their Friday buffet.

It was great to have lunch with everyone.

I had the Salmon Cakes served with Pernod Aioli and surrounding a Red Radish and Sprout Salad.

While I enjoyed the flavors represented in the salmon cakes (fresh dill with cheesy and nutty undertones) I found the salmon to be quite dry and desperately needing sauce. Even though the Pernod was undetectable the Aioli was delicious. I love sauces and I could've eaten a gravy boat load of this stuff. :smile: I enjoyed it with the Sprout Salad also. The dish also came with some very tasty Taro Chips.

For dessert, I really liked the Maple Mascarpone Pot de Creme. The consistency was dense, smooth and creamy, not too light, not too heavy and the caramel (?) maple topping was awesome.

I thought the Molten Chocolate Cake was great also. I generally don't go for chocolate desserts because I prefer chocolate in it's what I consider to be "natural" state = small truffles. :wink: This dessert was good though.

The strawberry shortcake was ok.

Blue Heron and I bought some pastries at their bakery. I got a crunchy coconut macadamia cookie which was very flavorful and a hazelnut trombone (?) which was good also. Both were reasonably priced at $.75 and $1.50 respectively.

I will definitely return to Square One and can't wait to try One World.

Thanks for a great lunch!

Edited by seawakim (log)

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

Market Street Grill, in Ballard, has added a 5-7 pm and after 10 pm "happy hour" for food & beer. Popcorn shrimp, chicken wings, fried calamari, mussels, burger, or bruschetta for $3-6, and tap beers $2. Every mussel in the bowl was presented belly up, plump and perfect, with a light seafood and saffron reduction, topped with fried leeks. The bread has a crunchy coat of corse salt - great for mopping up the broth.

Their chef, John-Paul Kunselman, was formerly the saucier at Rovers.

On the full menu, interesting appetizer menu (fois gras and sweetbread club sandwich!), pastry chef on board (didn't write down the name) and some lovely pairings of sides and entrees (such as duck breast with carmelized pear & turnip, peavine, blood orange reduction - $19). Closed on Sundays. Great to combine with a movie at The Majestic Bay.

Finally, new menus from SCCC. Sorry these are so late, but I just got them this morning - even though they started last Tuesday and only run through this Thursday :angry: .

Anyway...

One World Menu

February 4th, 5th, and 6th, 2003

Soup and Salads

Salad of butter leaf, candied walnuts, balsamic dressing, Carbrales & caramelized pears - $2.00

Soup of the day - $2.00

Mesclun greens with orange Supremes, fresh herb dressing - $2.50

Roasted Red Beet & Watercress Salad with Ginger Dressing - $2.50

Appetizer

Sunchoke Ravioli with Lemon-chervil Beurre blanc, curried potatoes - $5.25

Entrée

...served with a cup of soup or salad...

Sake Marinated Opah, sautéed potatoes & leeks, shimji mushrooms, soy-ginger sauce - $6.95

Olive oil-lemon roasted Baquetta Bass with tomato-cumin sauce, saffron rice pilaf - $6.45

Leeks Provencal stuffed chicken breast, sautéed spinach, Fleurette sauce - $5.95

Spanish Pan-Roasted Shrimp with Pernod, cilantro-fennel salad, served tableside - $6.50

Square One Menu

January 28th - February 6th, 2003

...served with a cup of soup or salad...

Luncheon Antipasto

Marinated & Roasted Vegetables, Baba Ghanoush, Fresh Mozzarella & Coppa - $4.95

Grilled Duck Breast With Tart Cherry and Sage Sauce

Celeriac-Potato Puree - $5.75

Beer Batter Tempura Oysters with Sauce Remoulade

Savoy-Bacon Slaw - $5.25

Bourbon Marinated Flank Steak

Steamed Jasmine Rice & Grilled Fresh Pineapple - $5.75

Fresh Ricotta Ravioli

Lightly Smoked Tomato Sauce - $5.50

Pistachio Crusted Mahi Mahi

Apple Cider Beurre Blanc & Rainbow Chard - $5.95

Heyjude and I are going to SCCC for the all-you-can-eat buffet this Friday. It's $6.50 and they usually have a huge range of offerings that constantly change during the meal. If you would like to join us just show up at the Square One Bistro located at the back of the caffeteria in the middle of Seattle Central Community College on Broadway - 12:00 or a little before. Be sure to wear loose fitting pants. :biggrin:

I think if you can get there earlier (they begin at 11:15) you might get to choose from a few more dishes, though it changes constantly during the two hour serving period. Since this is a buffet I suggest that people show up when they can and not wait for others to arrive before loading up at the trough... er, I mean making selctions and beginning their meal. :unsure:

Glad you can make it, Klinkster. :smile:

Sorry we won't see you, mam. :sad:

I'll see you there!

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

BH and others, don't miss my TDG column on Monday.  Hint, hint.

Cool! (I have to keep my post count up, I can't be having that young upstart Schielke usurp me!)

Except for the fact I didn't get to try the soup. :sad:

I loved the hot & sour soup, which was loaded with so many mushrooms, shrimp and other goodies.  I'm inspired now to learn how to make this

BH and others, don't miss my TDG column on Monday. Hint, hint.

Thanks for the heads up mamster. I can't wait.

I have to play it by ear tomorrow, but I'm going to try and make it as well. Hope to see you there.

(I'll send a PM to nightscotsman tomorrow when I know for sure).

Are you still planning to meet a little before noon? or earlier?

Hey - great to see more people may be able to make it on Friday. I was planning on getting there between 11:45 and noon, but like I said, it's a buffet so if you get there earlier please don't stand on ceremony - go ahead and start.

By the way, I may have photos to show from Chicago, and I brought back menus if anyone wants a look. :smile:

I'm all a twitter! :wub:  :wub:

Hey twit! Where were ya?

(worried . . . ) :unsure:

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

YUM! I LOVE buffets. I love the freedom of picking and choosing dishes and quantities.

I liked almost everything I tasted. The bacon coleslaw was a favorite of the salads. The stuffed chicken ( there was no label, but I assume it was nut stuffed) was my favorite entree and the berry tart was my delicious. What a great value. :smile:

Klink, sorry you couldn't make it.

I say we do it again next Friday.

Edited by seawakim (log)

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

The Friday buffet at SCCC really stands out as one of the better buffet lunches I've had in Seattle, and especially for the price, only $6.50.

My favorite thing was the slices of roasted duck (skin not crisp, but still flavorful as well as the meat), followed by my slices of med. rare pork loin (juicy, flavorful, with a nice charred crust), scampi that I watched being cooked right at the buffet table, and mache salad w/tuna confit and pistachios. But there were so many other good things as well... chinese style barbeque pork, fried oysters, onion rings, Vietnamese Spring Rolls & pork (which I unfortunately missed), baked cod, several types of chicken preparations incuding fried & barbequed, several types of soups (butternut squash, clam chowder, gazpacho to name a few), endless gourmet salads, potato, rice & pasta dishes, as well as a selection of desserts & fruits. All of this is all you can eat, and the staff is continually bringing out new dishes.

I want to go back next Friday!