• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Cheap Eats

Did you guys see Min Lao's survey of falafel in Seattle?

'In pursuit of felafel'

I was amazed that there were even that many places in town serving felafel. Min was very high on Zaina's. I'm ashamed to say that I've never tried it despite claiming to be a fan of middle eastern food....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

This week's lunch menus from Seattle Central, available 11:00-1:00, Nov. 12-14:

ONE WORLD MENU

Tom Yaam Goong $1.75

Soup de jour $1.75

Wilted Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette $1.75

Shrimp and Pork Gyoza with Hot Chili Oil $1.95

Entrée ...served with a cup of soup or salad...

Cobb Salad $5.75

Grilled Vegetable and Cheese Sandwich $4.95

Grilled Lamb Chop and Top Sirloin with Ginger Sauce $7.50

Chicken in Thai Red Curry Sauce $6.25

Pan-Seared Breast of Chicken with Green peppercorn Sauce $6.50

Pork Medallion with Red Onion Confit $6.50

Seared Lemon Grass Crusted Salmon w/ Watercress-Ginger Sauce $6.50

Sautéed Shrimp with Garlic Chili sauce $6.75

Curried Pasta with Shrimp, Brocoli and Tomato $6.50

SQUARE ONE BISTRO

...served with a cup of soup or salad...

Square One Mac and Cheese

Roasted Poblano Chiles and Sharp White Cheddar - $5.25

Nicoise Salad

Fresh Tuna, red potatoes, tomatoes and Seasonal Greens in a Light Lemon vinaigrette - $5.75

Seared Chicken Breast

Carrot-Anise cream and sautéed Fennel - $5.75

Roasted Butternut Squash Ravioli

Brown Butter and Sage - $5.50

Grilled Lamb with Cabernet Nicoise Olive Demi Glace

Sweet Potato Gratin and Brussel Sprouts - $5.50

• 2 months later...

School's back in session, and that means the Culinary School dining rooms at Seattle Central are open for lunch again. Here are the menus for this week, served from 11:15-1:00 Tuesday thru Thursday (all-you-can-eat buffet on Friday)

Square One Bistro

...served with cup of soup or salad...

Salad of Bibb Lettuce, Hearts of Palm, Avocado & Roasted Red Peppers

White Bean-Sherry Vinaigrette $4.25

Salmon Cakes

Fresh Dill - Pernod Aioli, Red Radish and Sprout Salad $5.25

Sweet Potato Gnocchi

Wilted Greens and Crispy Shallots - $4.95

Anise Rubbed Pork Tenderloin

Mango Mojo, Swiss Chard and Fried Plantains - $5.95

Breast of Chicken Marsala

Parmesan Whipped Potatoes and Steamed Brussel Sprouts - $5.95

Grilled Sea Scallops

Creamy Carrot-Meyer Lemon Reduction Sauce - $5.50

One World Dining Room

The following selections are served with tsukemono, sunomono and makisushi.

Tempura Udon

Shrimp and vegetable tempura over Japanese udon noodles - $5.25

Nabeyaki Udon

Chicken, shrimp, surimi, kamaboko, and shiitake mushroom, served over Japanese udon noodles - $5.95

The following selections are served with tsukemono, sunomono and misoshiru

Katsudon

Breaded pork cutlet simmered in broth, served over rice - $4.95

Tendon

Fried Shrimp and vegetables over rice with tempura broth - $5.25

Oyakodon

Chicken and egg cooked with onion and dashi broth, served over rice - $4.95

The following selections are served with makisushi, tsukemono, sunomono, and misoshiru

Negimayaki

Sliced New York strip loin rolled with scallions, broiled and served with teriyaki glaze - $7.50

Tori No Teriyaki

Grilled boneless chicken leg served with teriyaki sauce - $6.25

Tempura

Tempera fried shrimp and vegetables with dipping sauce - $6.75

Sukiyaki

Thinly sliced beef and vegetables cooked in sukiyaki sauce - $6.95

Agedashi Tofu

Fried tofu served with special sauce and topped with bonito flakes - $5.75

Yay, it's back!

I'm going on Thursday.  Anyone want to join me?  I have an 8-12 window with the cable installer, so maybe 12:15 unless, y'know, he's late.  But that could never happen.

I'm in. Were you thinking Square One or One World? I thought the Square One menu sounded more interesting, so that would be my preference.

I'd like to join you. This week's Square One menu also sounds more interesting to me.

Kathy

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Count me it too. I've been wanting to try this place ever since nightscotsman brought it up....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

You had lunch in Seattle yesterday! :smile:

But really, you will have to take some time off one day soon so we can all go to Salumi.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Bringing this to the top as a reminder. What time should we meet? Is 12:15 safe, or maybe 12:30?

Kathy

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I third (or fourth?) the recommendation for the great felaffel at Zaina's. I know the one on Cherry St. It's near my other favorite bargain lunch spot, Bakeman's at 122 Cherry. If you like fresh roasted turkey sandwiches, hand carved and giant portions, for around $4, Bakeman's is the place. Their turkey noodle soup is great, too.

Others rave about the meat loaf sandwiches. I don't ever eat it so I can't comment.

Bringing this to the top as a reminder.  What time should we meet?  Is 12:15 safe, or maybe 12:30?

It would be better if we could meet at 12:00 rather than later. Remember that it's not actually a real restaurant, and when they say they are open from 11:15 to 1:00 it means they stop serving and the students are pretty much gone by 1:00.

Edited by nightscotsman (log)

It would be better if we could meet at 12:00 rather than later. Remember that it's not actually a real restautant, and when they say they are open from 11:15 to 1:00 it means they stop serving and the students are pretty much gone by 1:00.

I can be there at noon. See you guys tomorrow. :smile:

I'm still in and will see you all at noon....

Great to see everyone at lunch today! :smile:

We didn't order until well after 12:00 so they were running low on several dishes. Most of us wanted the scallops, but they only had 1 order left, so I had the Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Wilted Greens and Crispy Shallots. The greens were finished with a little red wine vinegar that ballanced well with the sweet potato. The other dishes I had bites of were also good.

Not listed on the menu were the desserts - a warm, molten center chocolate cake with blood orange sauce and orange cream (one of the best I've had), a strawberry shortcake (obviously not in season, so not as good as it could have been, but not bad), and a maple cream cheese pot de creme sort of thing that was very dense and smooth with a brown sugar (or maple?) topping. All of these were $1.50 each.

By the way, when we went to pay the bill we learned they have a frequent diner program called "The Joy Lunch Club" (heh). Get your card punched 8 times and get the Friday all-you-can-eat buffet for free.

By the way, when we went to pay the bill we learned they have a frequent diner program called "The Joy Lunch Club" (heh). Get your card punched 8 times and get the Friday all-you-can-eat buffet for free.

Sweet!

I was really impressed at the restaurant. They have some interesting dishes and very nice presentation and the price is absolutely perfect. Parking was a pain but it's difficult to park anywhere near Broadway.

I had the pork tenderloin cooked medium rare which is the how it's normally served (the other two tenderloins that were ordered were medium). I wholeheartedly applaud Square One for serving their pork at the perfect temperature and not copping out to the USDA or popular opinion. I also ordered the Mexican inspired soup which had the consistency of a fine salsa though not as spicy. It was topped with a tortilla chip filled with a guacamole. It wasn't bad but the way everyone was gushing about the hot and sour soup being orgasmic, I felt left out. :sad: