• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Int'l Hotel Motel Restaurant Show

ngatti

A nice feature of this show is a "free" series of chef and pastry chef demonstrations in a large, beautiful, well-lit kitchen stage with very good audio and sound. All chefs pass out examples of their dishes, take questions from the audience and demonstrate techniques. I've been fortunate to coordinate these demos for the past few years, on behalf of the Societe Culinaire Philanthropique of New York, and I've tried to turn them into something very educational and interactive. This year, a few eGulleteers will be an official part of the proceedings:

On Saturday morning, the Blue Hill guys--Dan and Mike--give a demonstration of their desserts in the big chef demo kitchen way in the back of the show on the ground floor. About 100 seats, they'll be serving little tastes of their desserts. Get there early for this one. They'll be joined by Stephane Motir, the very fine pastry chef of Tribeca Grill and Bakery. (I'll be emceeing and hosting all the demos by the way.)

Later that same day, our own Wingding joins Suvir for another demo of desserts--I've asked them to emphasize both locally-sourced and exotic ingredients--and how to procure them--with little tastes of their desserts passed out. I'm not sure what Suvir is doing yet but wingding tells me she'll use quince somehow--which is great for me since I am quince-deficient.

Then on Monday afternoon--a big two-hour plus "master class" on desserts emphasizing "Fall flavors, use of vegetables and modern trends in dessert" with Paul Connors--the brilliant former pastry chef of Radius in Boston, now relocated to Minneapolis--joined by another three very special, no less brilliant pastry chefs AND eGulleteers: my wife, Chefette, Michael Laiskonis of Tribute and Patrice Demers of Les Chevres in Montreal.

Oh, the only people guaranteed desserts are those sitting down, and there are 100 seats.

Should be alot of fun--join us for all the demos, ask tons of questions, come up and introduce yourself afterwards--we'd love to meet all of you. someone file a report, too, for the site, ok?

For specific information, go here:

http://www.ihmrs.com/

See you there.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Steve, I'm sorry to hear that you're quince-deficient. With the strides that medical research is making these days, I'm sure they'll come up with something for it within your lifetime :smile:

OK all you professional food people, is this show open to Joe Public as well ? The show registration process requires me to state I am a "hospitality professional" and while I do believe I'm a pretty hospitable guy, and I sure outrate many maitre d's I've come across, I'm not comfortable with checking that box :sad: Anyone want to sell me an eGullet Guest Ticket ? I could easily be persuaded to organize my next visit to NYC to coincide with wingding's quincey demo and even Suvir's unspecified activity, but how do I get a ticket ?

Steve, I'm sorry to hear that you're quince-deficient. With the strides that medical research is making these days, I'm sure they'll come up with something for it within your lifetime  :smile:

OK all you professional food people, is this show open to Joe Public as well ?  The show registration process requires me to state I am a "hospitality professional" and while I do believe I'm a pretty hospitable guy, and I sure outrate many maitre d's I've come across, I'm not comfortable with checking that box :sad: Anyone want to sell me an eGullet Guest Ticket ?  I could easily be persuaded to organize my next visit to NYC to coincide with wingding's quincey demo and even Suvir's unspecified activity, but how do I get a ticket ?

Mark,

You post and read on eGullet? Close enough. All connections are good, no matter how tenuous. Really, all they ask for at the registration desk is a business card. I think they just like to pack 'em in at this one. It's not like the Toy Show which *is* very restrictive.

It's possible that I may have a few extra badges on the Monday that I'm attending. We take a shotgun approach, ordering badges for everyone and their brother. There are usually a couple laying about unused on any given day.

On another topic; anyone attending Vinexpo on Oct 22nd ? Same venue.

Nick

Let's see--food professionals would include people thinking about opening their own restaurant, freelance food writers including those who write "online," personal chefs, people who run their own small catering businesses, recipe testers, wine buyers or salesmen, etc. There are lots of categories one might fall into if one tried.

And Macrosan, yes, there is still hope for me yet. I will overcome.

Steve Klc

chef@pastryarts.com

Yes, I'm on their Board of Advisors actually, along with Jacques and Francois and Nick and Claudia...you're asking how did I get my name on that letterhead, huh? Anyway, it is a nice event, the demos/dessert tastings are the strongest component of the show, and my demo is on Saturday at 1PM I think--I asked Patrice Demers to join me, since he was coming in from Montreal the week before to do the IHMRS demo. We are each going to take the same three flavors/ingredients--chocolate, caramel and banana and show how two minds can create two completely different desserts with them--and then serve both to the audience. Should be fun. Colleen and I are also doing another chocolate dress for this year's fashion show on Friday. That is if she ever finishes my Dad's Christmas present--a non-chocolate smoking jacket.

Steve Klc

chef@pastryarts.com

OK, I registered :smile: In case I bump into any of you, please try to remember that I'm a Freelance Journalist and Consultant who also writes Advertising Copy for Advertising Agencies working in the Hospitality Industry plus I have a Syndicated Column in International Publications and I am a part-time Public Relations Officer for many Hotel and Motel Chains in Various Parts of the World.

Wow, that keeps me busy :smile:

So back to the original post. Nick, you gonna try to organize a little get-together ?

OK, I registered  :smile:  In case I bump into any of you, please try to remember that I'm a Freelance Journalist and Consultant who also writes Advertising Copy for Advertising Agencies working in the Hospitality Industry plus I have a Syndicated Column in International Publications and I am a part-time Public Relations Officer for many Hotel and Motel Chains in Various Parts of the World.

Wow, that keeps me busy  :smile:

What, saying all that? More important, how much can you bill just for announcing your "title"? :wink::biggrin:

OK, I registered  :smile:  In case I bump into any of you, please try to remember that I'm a Freelance Journalist and Consultant who also writes Advertising Copy for Advertising Agencies working in the Hospitality Industry plus I have a Syndicated Column in International Publications and I am a part-time Public Relations Officer for many Hotel and Motel Chains in Various Parts of the World.

Wow, that keeps me busy  :smile:

So back to the original post. Nick, you gonna try to organize a little get-together ?

I'll be there on the monday of the show.

Any one want to trail, I'd be happy to have them along.

Nick

After much discussion, Edemuth and I are planning to come up and check out the show. Any suggestions for cheap, livable lodging near the Javits center? Anybody want to get together while we're there?

• 2 weeks later...

Steve Klc -- I'd appreciate additional information on the Blue Hill demo, and the mlpc/Patrice demo. Does the BH demo begin Saturday at 10am, and, if so, what time relative to such opening time of the show would one have to arrive to be assured seating in the demo theater?

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday, November 9

Hosted by Steve Klc of Pastryarts.com and Food Arts

11:00 am-12:pm

The Challenge of Creating Distinctive Desserts in Different Styles - From Bakery to Restaurant

Stephane Motir, executive pastry chef of Tribeca Grill and TriBakery, New York, NY and

Dan Barber and Michael Anthony, chefs of Blue Hill Restaurant, New York, NY

will demonstrate the diversity of specialty desserts by creating and serving examples of their work.

Rumor has it Dan and Mike are doing "Stuffed Pain Perdu" with roasted local apples and

gingerbread ice cream, Suvir said he's considering his special version of apple halwa made in a wok and Meredith is planning on "Quince 3 ways" with a concord grape sauce made with saba [aged grape must.]

Some of the dishes I've heard about for Monday's demo are pretty interesting--I'll let the pastry chefs involved reveal the final versions ahead of time if they so choose. You know how chefs are--things can change right up until the last moment. Suffice it to say Chefette has had me taste versions of a white corn flan/creme brulee, caramelized popcorn and a corn cob foam this week; Patrice was planning a goat yogurt and nutmeg panna cotta with butternut squash pulp, sweetened with maple syrup finished with a green apple foam and some apple julienne, served with a pistachio/butternut squash macaron.

Steve Klc

chef@pastryarts.com

Rumor has it Dan and Mike are doing "Stuffed Pain Perdu" with roasted local apples and

gingerbread ice cream, Suvir said he's considering his special version of apple halwa made in a wok and Meredith is planning on "Quince 3 ways" with a concord grape sauce made with saba [aged grape must.]

Some of the dishes I've heard about for Monday's demo are pretty interesting--I'll let the pastry chefs involved reveal the final versions ahead of time if they so choose.  You know how chefs are--things can change right up until the last moment.  Suffice it to say Chefette has had me taste versions of a white corn flan/creme brulee, caramelized popcorn and a corn cob foam this week; Patrice was planning a goat yogurt and nutmeg panna cotta with butternut squash pulp, sweetened with maple syrup finished with a green apple foam and some apple julienne, served with a pistachio/butternut squash macaron.

Rumors galore...

Will have to make sure I do something new then... :wink:

But yes apple and halwa will be part of what I do.... And somewhere there will be some deep frying.. to keep Meredith company.