• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mercato Tivolio

adegiulio

I sometimes wonder why I never mentioned this place before. Mercato is a wonderful enoteca/trattoria in our lovely town of Red Hook. Francesco the chef/owner uses local ingredients (as much as possible) to assemble a fresh menu everyday. An all Italian wine list has certainly broadened my wine drinking horizons. The dining room is open and airy, perfect for casual meals with serious food.

Up here, Rhinebeck and Hudson get all the attention, and rightfully so. Mercato is a fantastic destination for a great time, one that deserves a trip.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Funny thing is, you *have* mentioned it before. But that was their old location, when it was less of a full service restaurant. Francesco puts together a fresh dinner menu every day, as you say, with fresh pastas and excellent imported dried pastas, and lots of local ingredients, and they've been doing great business since moving to Main St. Mario Batali has stopped in a few times when he's in the area, and, of course, has gotten all the stops pulled out. But even the non-star treatment is pretty special.

If you're in Red Hook, check 'em out!

Christopher

Edited by plattetude (log)

Tonight, and every Tuesday, Mercato will be offering an antipasti-only menu, and a live jazz band. The last two weeks have been a real blast, more like a big party than a private dining experience. Just order one of everything, grab some wine, and have some fun. Past dishes include spicy grilled baby octopus, local chicken livers on crostini, local asparagus with parmigiano, various arancini, and very tasty meatballs.

It is a very fun night, and a great way to spend a Tuesday evening.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread convinced me to celebrate my upcoming birthday at Mercato Tivolio.

I'm looking forward to it, and was wondering if anyone has any must try suggestions?

The menu changes so often, it's tough to recommend specific dishes. He is very good with his pastas, both in cooking the pasta and the saucing. The chicken from North Wind Farms is always terrific. He makes a pork saltimbocca that I order whenever he is making it. Start things with a salumi plate, which always changes, but is made with top quality stuff. The last one had porchetta on it that practically melted in your mouth.

The overall theme is: serve quality food, prepared simply with a nod toward tradition. You'll never see veal parmigiana on the menu.

Shoot, now I want to go.. :smile:

How local are you?

I'm looking forward to it, and was wondering if anyone has any must try suggestions?

The menu changes so often, it's tough to recommend specific dishes. He is very good with his pastas, both in cooking the pasta and the saucing. The chicken from North Wind Farms is always terrific. He makes a pork saltimbocca that I order whenever he is making it. Start things with a salumi plate, which always changes, but is made with top quality stuff. The last one had porchetta on it that practically melted in your mouth.

The overall theme is: serve quality food, prepared simply with a nod toward tradition. You'll never see veal parmigiana on the menu.

How local are you?

Thanks adegiulio, I'm going tomorrow so your response was right on time. :smile:

I certainly will watch for those items. Or at times when undecided I just welcome whatever the kitchen wishes to cook. Very glad to hear there is no veal parm.

I live about 40 miles west of Albany. But I trust your opinions as I have been reading your suggestions for awhile now. Plus I tend to travel pretty much anywhere when it comes to restaurants. :laugh:

Edited to add. Last year for my birthday I drove to Komi in DC. So this is significantly closer. Gas prices are restraining my dining habits.

Edited by robert40 (log)

Robert R

• 2 weeks later...

How local are you?

Thanks adegiulio, I'm going tomorrow so your response was right on time. :smile:

I certainly will watch for those items. Or at times when undecided I just welcome whatever the kitchen wishes to cook. Very glad to hear there is no veal parm.

I live about 40 miles west of Albany. But I trust your opinions as I have been reading your suggestions for awhile now. Plus I tend to travel pretty much anywhere when it comes to restaurants. :laugh:

Edited to add. Last year for my birthday I drove to Komi in DC. So this is significantly closer. Gas prices are restraining my dining habits.

So, how did you enjoy it? I hope it was worth your trip, which seemed pretty long for a neighborhood restaurant... :smile:

How local are you?

So, how did you enjoy it? I hope it was worth your trip, which seemed pretty long for a neighborhood restaurant... :smile:

We had a good meal and will give more details over the weekend.

Robert R