• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Places to Eat, Drink, Smoke in Paris

robyn

I realize I am one of the last smokers in the United States - but I suspect there are a few left in Paris :wink: . Since the smoking ban went into effect - are there any options left for us smokers? Can you smoke on outdoor patios? I recall that there was an exemption for places that put in complicated ventilation systems. If my recollection is correct - are there any places like that? Like many smokers - I don't mind eating a meal without smoking - but I really dislike non-smoking bars. Anyway - if there are any fellow smokers out there - do you have any favorite options in Paris for eating, drinking and smoking? Robyn

Hi Robyn,

If you do smoke, it will definitely be in the street, on the sidewalk, or on the café terrace if it's completely open. Sidewalks have become rather hazardous places in Paris since the smoking ban. At first I did acknowkledge the employees having their "pause clope" downstairs from offices but soon I realized the problem was a bit more serious — especially in busy areas with narrow sidewalks, it has become distinctly trickier to walk through the cigarette-sucking crowd, gathered outside of cafés, restaurants and even shops. Not a large crowd, mind you, but definitely large enough to slow down most walks.

The fact is that you no longer see a lighted cigarette in any café or restaurant or anywhere within walls or bay windows. I also do not hear much complaining about it. People seem to be rediscovering those spaces with a relatively breathable air and relatively transparent atmosphere and they realize they like that.

As a result there's more smoking outside, in the streets, on terraces, but since (I think) many people have taken the opportunity of the ban to quit smoking, you don't usually get smoked like a ham once you sit at a café terrace. But it's perfectly OK to smoke there.

There is an amusing piece in Paris Update today by James Gascoigne on smoking inside and out that mirrors my impression that while inside things are much nicer, outside the air is denser. In addition, the rules as to what “outside” space is enclosed vs not-enclosed seem arbitrary and the accumulated discarded butts, if not swept up by the Green Men, are impressive.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

As Ptipois noted, you are free to smoke on the terrace and a recent dinner at the Cambodge on the terrace was proof that smoking is not entirely banished--in fact most people were smoking. I have also noticed that customers at my local tabac/cafe, which has a front which opens rather than a real terrace, sit near the opening and smoke away. But other than that, I think the ban has been very well received. Even the smokers I know are pleased and just go outside for a clope when needed.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I guess there are jerks everywhere. This was in our local papers today.

Anyway - Ptipois - even though smoking is generally allowed in most restaurants in Tokyo - there are "no smoking" streets (they are so crowded that if people walk around with lighted cigarettes - they can set other people on fire!).

Whatever the rules are - I will follow them (the French rules are basically identical to those here in Florida). And hope that early October is still warm enough for the occasional meal/drink outside. Robyn

• 10 months later...